Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   my "new" free golf cart (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=154250)

illumastorm 06-22-2019 05:17 AM

my "new" free golf cart

here's a little long intro so bare with me LOL.... brought home my "new" free golf cart yesterday. well it's "new" to me LOL... it had been sitting out behind a garage for at least 5 years, tires flat, sinking into the mud (we had to drag it out to the driveway), rear brakes locked up, an even had moss growing in places LOL... but it was FREE!!!!! an even i know golf carts are worth something if nothing else then to get some parts off it so i went an got it. spent some time an figured out the brakes were rusted to the drums, got those busted loose an the drums are ok (need a good sanding but no pits so i can reuse them) but the shoes are complete junk. i took carb off an apart an not much gunk in it so a good soaking an back together. shot some oil/gas mix into spark plug hole an cranked over by hand an it turned smooth!! hooked up a battery, turned key on, stepped on gas an it started cranking, an it had a nice bright spark!! put plug back in, hooked up a temp fuel line (cause i wanted to drain gas tank an didnt want any old gas getting into clean carb an haven't cleaned the fuel pump yet) an tried starting it an surprise it fired up!!! while test running it i noticed the clutch was not moving (of course it spins but not moving sideways to tighten belt), so i took cover off an found it has a comet duster clutch with a bunch of black weight things which all look like new, but i noticed a lot of rust on the shaft. after some penetrating oil an light hammering i got the outer part of clutch off but shaft needs light sanding then it should slide. the drive belt however is junk so needs a new one. i couldn't find the serial # that is suppose to be on driver side under bumper, but i did find it on the passenger side under bumper, turns out it is a 1986 G1-AM. anyway i'll be posting pics of it as soon as i figure out how to LOL..

chrisr32 06-22-2019 09:05 AM

Re: my "new" free golf cart

Welcome and please post some pics.

Arti 06-22-2019 06:22 PM

Congrats on the new to you cart.

Mooncarter 06-22-2019 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisr32 (Post 1628282)
Welcome and please post some pics.

X2!

LukeL 06-22-2019 10:07 PM

For sure post some pictures. Can’t beat the price!

mikeasis 06-23-2019 10:16 AM

you'll need this
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/garag...ir-manual.html

my first G1 was free. these things are tanks and will run forever with some maintenance. Take your time and clean, service everything while its down. Check, clean or replace all cables from the battery to starter/gen and from there to the solenoids. These corrode and cause voltage drop that's does all kinds of weird things. Best thing I ever did my 84 was replace all those cables and ends.

The comet clutches are nice, easy to service and smooth operating but do not have the idle bearing like the stock clutch and that makes it a real PITA to push the cart. stay away from the aftermarket brake shoes, unless stopping is not important.

Look up all your parts here https://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-g1-am-g.../#.XQ-XL3dFzug and use their part numbers to find what you need on ebay or elsewhere. This company is over seas but their parts break downs are awesome and they still list the discontinued parts so you have a number to for if its out there.

remember to add dashes to your part numbers. sometimes it makes the difference in finding you part example. j101118100 should be j10-11181-00 the dashes go after the first three numbers and before the last 2

illumastorm 06-23-2019 03:19 PM

well i got a video put up on my youtube channel if anyone wants to go there an watch it. here's the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKUBPyt2Y4I
i'll be making more videos an putting on there as i work on it an get it back up an running.

LukeL 06-23-2019 08:41 PM

Watched the video. Not bad!

illumastorm 06-25-2019 05:41 AM

thanks mikeasis for all that info, downloaded the manual!!!!!
got a question for anyone that has the answer,, on mine the exhaust valve flapper thing is rusted so bad it wont move, i have take the linkage off that goes to throttle (as you can see in my video of getting it running) but i am wondering how to tell if the valve is open or closed? i have tried removing the exhaust pipe but it is rusted together an wont budge an i dont want to beat on it an cause it to start leaking mainly because i dont want to have to repair any of that right now. is there a way of judging by which way the bracket (that the linkage attaches to) is pointing to tell if valve is open or closed or halfway? i've read from others that they cant tell any diff if that helps with power or not an they have either wired it open or just removed it. but without actually seeing it i dont know if mine is open or not.

illumastorm 06-26-2019 09:21 AM

well never mind about the exhaust valve thing, after letting some penetrating oil soak an do it's thing the pipe came loose from the exhaust flange pretty easy. an just like i thought the flapper valve thing was almost closed. i am surprised it ran as good as it did in my video with it like that. anyway i removed the valve but left the shaft in case it runs like crap without it an i'll put it back an somehow get the shaft to spin easy like it's suppose to. got the new brake shoes on but still waiting on the drive belt, once that comes in i'll get it on an make a video of it up an driving.