Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Jerking hard taking off (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=61450)

NKYShane 03-15-2012 07:55 PM

Jerking hard taking off

I have a gas Yamaha and am used to how to drive it and it rides. I just bought an electric Club Car. I know nothing about electric carts. Is it normal for them to jerk hard when you hit the pedal going forward or in reverse? I was thinking maybe the motor might be loose, but was checking it out tonight, and was noticing that the rear end was jerking too when hitting the pedal. Was just wondering if this was something normal for electric carts, or if there is something wrong somewhere.

scottyb 03-15-2012 08:07 PM

Re: Jerking hard taking off

Does not sound normal... look for clutch engagement trouble and broken motor mounts.
Try to add some more info like year and model ... and somebody who knows more about this problem will chime in :thumbup:

kgsc 03-15-2012 08:20 PM

Club Car Sparky cart. Once the cart gets going, does it operate normally as long as the pedal is pushed ? Under the dash is a serial number, I believe the last 2 of the first 4 numbers is the year. Post that and we can go from there. Throttle box may have issues

shadowman 03-15-2012 08:27 PM

what yuear is it 1st? if its a 5 solenoid resistor cart and it has a few bad solenoids then yes its going to jerk like heck when you hit pedal so we need to know a little more about the cart.............................8)

NKYShane 03-16-2012 08:48 PM

Sorry. Its a 1988 and it does have 5 solenoids. It runs fine after its moving. But from a dead stop and I hit the pedal, it jerks hard. Also, if I'm still rolling, let off the pedal, then hit the pedal again, it jerks. Just seems like whenever I hit the pedal, and it engages the motor, thats when it jerks hard. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it in advance

shadowman 03-16-2012 09:08 PM

you have more then likely 2 bad solenoids.....i would guess 1st and 2nd speed............they are the 2 next to the master which is the furthest left solenoid on drivers side....you need to jack rear of cart up and slowly press pedal down while your listening for solenoid clicks.....furthest left one will click but wheels won,t spin they should start spinning when the one next to it clicks but think what you,ll find is you don,t hear the next 2 you,ll hear the 4th one and wheels will start spinning..................theres also a silver box mounted to frame up by drivers side front battery and in that box are the 5 micro switches that each activate a solenoid............its also possible that is where your problem lies but your issue is in fact at least 1st and 2nd speed arn,t working thats why the jerk everytime you press pedal cart wants to go right to high speed.................................8)

NKYShane 03-17-2012 12:51 PM

I went out messing with the cart. i turned the key on. Started pressing the pedal. Heard a click. Stopped. Went no where. Pressed the pedal more. Heard a second click. Went no where. Pressed the pedal more. Heard a third click. Went no where. Pressed the pedal more. Then it takes off hard and jerks. If this helps determine anything, I'm not sure.

shadowman 03-17-2012 02:05 PM

yes its either a few bad solenoids or the micro,s but since they are clicking than micro,s should be goodsince even a bad solenoid will click.....thats where you need to start at the solenoids............................8)

Stevegrmich 03-17-2012 05:17 PM

. . basically you are going from neutral to 4th gear, bypassing the first three . .

NKYShane 03-18-2012 08:35 AM

That makes sense. I found someone on Ebay that has all 5 solenoids for $130 with free shipping. So I'm gonna go that route that way I know I've got all new ones and eliminate any issue later down the road with them.