Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1/0 Battery Cables to 6 AWG Motor Cables (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=31473)

jshell1865 04-09-2010 09:59 AM

1/0 Battery Cables to 6 AWG Motor Cables

This week, I upgraded to a programmable Alltrax 4855 (500A), HD solenoid and added two more 6 volt batteries in the bagwell (total of 8 6V for 48V). I asked the shop to upgrade the cables while everything was torn down but should have been more specific. As it turns out, he only upgraded the battery cables with 1/0 cable and the original 6 awg cable are still connecting the motor, controller and F/R Switch.

Thanks to this forum, I know that all of the cables need to be upgraded in order to have the fully desired results, but I will now need to wait a while before I can spend any more money. The new controller and 48V upgrade made a huge difference in the torque (what I was looking for).

Question:

How much am I losing by having the 6 awg cables instead of a full upgrade? I plan to upgrade the motor next year. Will it hurt anything to leave it this way until I upgrade the motor.

Thanks in avdvance for your help,

Jeb

2005 Txt Series, 6" lift, 22x11x10 Wheels, Rear seat, 500 A Alltrax, 48V

gornoman 04-09-2010 10:20 AM

Re: 1/0 Battery Cables to 6 AWG Motor Cables

How much are you loosing? VERY difficult to quote without scientific procedures, however, if you take that cart offroad and get into a "situation" that requires high amp draws for extended time periods, guess which cables are gonna overheat and fail?

Also, I suspect this is a series system cart. Have you upgraded the F/R assembly and the solenoid?

jshell1865 04-09-2010 11:48 AM

Thank you for your response.

Yes, this is a series cart. I have upgraded the solenoid and have someone that is going to "beef up" my F/R Switch by adding thicker buss bars.

gornoman 04-09-2010 12:39 PM

By all means, finish out the cable upgrade then. You're gonna LOVE your new cart!

kdeerman 05-19-2010 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jshell1865 (Post 389838)
Thank you for your response.

Yes, this is a series cart. I have upgraded the solenoid and have someone that is going to "beef up" my F/R Switch by adding thicker buss bars.

jshell,

Do you know if the guy who beefed up your FNR switch used the post on this site from pggroves? It is very detailed.