Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   98 TXT has no power with new batteries (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=76230)

MartinEZGo 02-18-2013 03:04 PM

98 TXT has no power with new batteries

I need some help! I'm lost. I have a 98 Ez Go TXT and I installed new US Batteries, U2200s, and I still have no power. I did a load test on the old Trojan batteries and there were 3 that would show very little voltage. Now, with the new ones, it still has no power. I've read a lot of the posts on here and thought it easier to post my own. The stock 6g wires do not heat up during usage. It has a 6" lift now with 23" tires and the rest of the running gear and electronics are all stock. I will need this thing to run some pretty steep gravel hills in late April and really need it strong. Any ideas?

Phil_R 02-18-2013 03:51 PM

Re: 98 TXT has no power with new batteries

New battery pack alone won't make up for the torque loss caused by tall tires. Cheapest way to regain lost torque is to install your stock tires. I chose to upgrade electronics, Alltrax SPM-48500 / HD solenoid / HD F&R switch cam / 2 gauge cable set. Along with a new battery pack, cart has better torque with 22" tires, than stock with 18" tires.

More torque available with an increase in voltage from 36v to 48v, this would increase speed as well. Final step would be a special torque motor...

MartinEZGo 02-18-2013 08:46 PM

The problem existed before I changed the tires. Even with the stock wheels and tires, it wouldn't climb a hill without losing speed. I really think it may be the controller and/or FnR switch. Is there a way to tell without just randomly buying pieces?

gornoman 02-18-2013 08:57 PM

Is this a series cart or a DCS cart? Sounds like a series cart if it dogs up the hills. Your 23" tires are killing your torque. Without upgrades to the drive system, you will be disappointed. Your stock 275 amp controller is not letting the motor pull enough amps on those hills.

subby44 02-18-2013 09:23 PM

I agree with gman... time to pony up for the extra ponies... I did and I love it.. Getnew 4 ga cables while your at it... not expensive at all...

As far as no power.. did you check the reed switch? make sure you wiggle ALL wires and connections... does the beeper sound when you put it into reverse?

MartinEZGo 02-19-2013 09:37 AM

It is a Series cart G-Man, and it makes sense that it would affect the torque but it was doing it with the stock size wheels and tires too. I installed an LED battery meter and it never loses more than 3 dots before it is dead (may be installed incorrectly). I wanted to see the power fade but it didn't help. Reed switch Sub? It does beep in reverse which I want to disconnect. Which 400 amp controller is best and where do I find one for the best price?

scottyb 02-19-2013 10:35 AM

The best 400 amp controller is actually SPM48400. You will find one with a superduty 400 solenoid resistor and diode for $465. On a series cart you will also need to upgrade the F&R and 13pc cable set.

Of course the best results would be on 48v. The setup above with 48v would give you about 60% plus torque improvement (plus a top speed increase)

subby44 02-19-2013 11:14 AM

Martinezgo... I bought the exact pkg from scottyb.. minus the fr swich and cables. I already had the cables. I have a 36v dcs. I am really happy with my set up. I only use the cart for golf tho. I am on a budget too. so i am slowly making improvements as i go. my next purchase is the fr swich then, when i am due for batts. I am going to go 48v

I do not think your problem is the reed swich since the cart is beeping.. did you check ALL connections on the cart from the motor to controller then from controller to batts etc???

JohnnieB 02-19-2013 12:08 PM

There seems to be some confusion here. :mrgreen:

Is the problem that the cart won't run, or is it that the cart runs but has little power and looses speed going up hills?

----------
For liability reasons, disconnecting the reverse beeper isn't a good idea.
It can be toned down to a less irritating level by plugging the holes with something and taping the plug in place with electrical tape.

----------
How fast a series wound motor spins is dictated by the voltage applied to it and if the mechanical load increases (IE: Going up a hill), it will try to draw more amps to maintain that speed. When the amp delivery system cannot supply any more amps, the motor slows down.

With a higher amp controller, the motor won't slow as much.
Of course, the rest of the high current loop (Cables, solenoid and F/R switch) has to be capable of delivering the higher amperage.

To get a series wound motor to spin faster, more voltage is needed.

MartinEZGo 02-19-2013 10:36 PM

Sounds expensive. $465 for the controller, $125 for 4g wires, $175 for FnR switch, $200 for 2 new batteries to make it 48v and then a new 48v charger for another $200 equalling @ $1200. I want it fixed but obviously I am going to have to take it in stages. Where do I start? Johnnie, it will run fine but loses a lot of speed on hills.