Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Big Block Talk! (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Billet Flywheel (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=52760)

hookm 08-12-2011 12:25 PM

Billet Flywheel

I put an ARC billet adjustable flywheel on my HF 390 clone 2 weeks ago.It made a world of difference on take off but the starter went out today.I'm hoping just a bad starter,I have a spare & will put it on tomorrow.If it's not the starter I don't know what to do ,I doubt if they'll take the flywheel back.
I'm running 10 deg. advance,heavy springs & bored out carb & it starts on first crank------- when it cranks & I can leave a little patch of rubber on concrete.hookm

sho305 08-13-2011 01:28 PM

Re: Billet Flywheel

I had the starter freak out on the one I did. I wired a kill relay into the key and the starter would not work after that, have no idea why checked all the wires and I did not touch the starter wires. Since we use the gen to start it ignored it then one day stop and the starter is running and will not stop? Mess with it and it stops, will not work with key, not sure what happened no time to mess with it. unplugged the wire from the solenoid and left it.

hookm 08-13-2011 05:29 PM

The starter never did seem right ,I'm going to put the one off the CS 420 on it.I had to work today,first time this month,I'll put it on tomorrow.
I have all the parts to put the 420 together,I've never done one,I might get someone else to do it ,I'd hate to screw it up.hookm

sho305 08-15-2011 10:41 AM

One I did is a CS 420, I get some time I will inspect. The wires are between the stock generator and the clone can't really get at them and it was 95F that day lol. He was racing a 450 rhino but maybe because a cute girl was driving it and not sure how fast she was going.

hookm 08-17-2011 11:26 AM

:?I put the other starter on,still wouldn't start after it warmed up so put the timing back to 4 degrees,it helped but still not right.It doesn't seem to run any different from 10 degrees advance but have to hit the starter button 2 or 3 times to get it to crank after it warms up.I'm going to try bigger battery cables & see if that helps.:help::help::help:

sho305 08-17-2011 01:58 PM

Stock cam? Sure the lash is right or is it different cam with no comp release? Larger and/or shorter cables will help not sure how much. I dug around a lot looking at timing and what it does. It seems that after around 2500rpm you need more advance to get more rpm. Below that advance can cause detonation, above that it helps it rev more. Not sure it really helps power that much. Lawn engines typically have a very safe setup, don't advance because rpm is low, have low compression for cheap fuel, etc. A CDI or the new B&S CDI magneto are supposed to increase advance with rpm. The new Honda is also supposed to have CDI mag on it. I don't know how much, most CDI retard the timing at low rpm and let it go back to normal advance at high rpm. That means it needs to be setup on the engine advanced like 30 degrees mechanically to start with. I am tempted to try my G9 ignition on the clone it advances 30 deg at 2500 and near zero at low starting rpm. Would have to fit the pick up in the right spot somehow. Others say its not worth messing with, and they even sell an advance key for G9s?? Anyway maybe some of that makes sense lol.

They can also turn over harder without the big flywheel on there maybe that is the issue? Timing advance can also do that. You might be able to pull the plug wire part way off, so the spark jumps to the plug. If it starts better it could be the timing. I think that will delay the spark a hair not entirely sure. If so you could gap the plug a little larger.

If you have comp release on the cam try setting the intake lash really small like close to zero...maybe .001-.002. In the small engines they say it opens up hot so they set them to about zero cold.

hookm 08-17-2011 02:41 PM

It has the stock cam,I put bigger wires on it,if that doesn't work I put the stock flywheel back on.hookm

sho305 08-17-2011 08:54 PM

Set the intake lash real close that will give more comp release. Not sure what else you can do other than run 24v to the starter lol.

hookm 08-18-2011 10:44 AM

Sho,intake lash was the problem,I set it at 0 & exaust at .002,fires right up cold or hot,thanks.hookm:thumbup:

sho305 08-18-2011 11:37 AM

Sweet, now you have to tell me what mods worked, having a hard time finding out what to do for these since the karts all run higher rpm than we do with a CVT. One guy said run stock cam another said torque cam. But if you do a cam then you have to near do it all, rod, flywheel, valvetrain parts, lots of $$$. So far I figure cut the head .050 will run on regular yet, advance the timing was told 4-6 degrees, would like a different carb this stock one has partial throttle mixture issues plus I could move the carb to face the rear away from shock. Think I will get a header and hook quiet car muffler to that. Flywheel is expensive unless you are saying it really helps, pretty sure I will still use stock generator starting. Not sure on valve springs but this stock one lays down at same rpm stock G9 does not sure if its float or timing/etc. The way I figure it I need to keep power as low as 2500rpm. I also plan to port the head a little they say there are ugly cutter marks in there get rid of those. Not sure much headwork would help with stock cam. Also have read about people using an 11hp head maybe they are higher comp? LOL, sorry to unload.