Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Hunting and Fishing (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Big Sow (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=13120)

gstoneberg 02-23-2009 07:17 AM

Big Sow

Had enough work to last awhile so last Thursday I started playing guide with some guys from Nebraska down to hog hunt. They hunted together the first night which left me alone to hunt myself. A nice sow came in and gave me a quick shot. She was bigger than I thought. The scale only went to 200# and she pulled it well past that. We're guessing 250#. Gotta love Texas. They got a hog at the other stand too. Good night.

http://72.64.80.21/gks-pictures/sow-2_19_09.jpg

Tonight we'll be making sausage.

George

azboo 02-23-2009 07:19 AM

Re: Big Sow

Congrats George. More and more I wish I could try this. :thumbup:

Fishing Dude 02-23-2009 08:35 AM

congrats on the hog George.

spriddle 02-23-2009 08:40 AM

I thought this would be a pic of gorno. :-P :mrgreen: Congrats though. :thumbup:

scottyb 02-23-2009 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spriddle (Post 148815)
I thought this would be a pic of gorno. :-P :mrgreen: Congrats though. :thumbup:

He said sow not boar :roll:

spriddle 02-23-2009 08:46 AM

I noticed that after I had already clicked on it. :lol:

gstoneberg 02-23-2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azboo (Post 148781)
Congrats George. More and more I wish I could try this. :thumbup:

This might have been a good night for you Boo. It goes like this: you sit in the dark for a couple hours, listening to coyotes howl and who knows what else. It is 41 degrees and really calm with unbelievable stars. Turn on the varmint light every few minutes and watch coons eat your $7.50 a bag corn, then finally when you hear loud crunching turn on the light and shoot quick before the hogs run off. After she was down a hog came up to about 20 yards from the blind (staying well hidden in the cedars) and growled at me for about 10 minutes. I waited for awhile before I climbed down. Of course, then there's the field dressing and the sit around the campfire. It was one of those rare nights when it was cold enough to put off the skinning/quartering to the next morning.

It's more comfortable later in the year, but the bugs are worse. Thank God for the Thermocell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 148820)
He said sow not boar :roll:

I wouldn't call Gorno a hog (as far as he knows). Anybody who lives in Chicagoland and keeps even a fraction of their sanity deserves some respect...not a lot, but some. Since WGN is on the dish I can get a little reminder any time I want. We lived there for 17 years, worked for Bell Labs in Naperville. Don't miss that area. No piggys to shoot.

George

Fishing Dude 02-23-2009 02:44 PM

Shooting hogs must make you think of Chicago politics? Who knew jane would lose to a snow storm.

gstoneberg 02-24-2009 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishing Dude (Post 149145)
Shooting hogs must make you think of Chicago politics? Who knew jane would lose to a snow storm.

Sort-of; it reminds me more of a few neighborhoods I tried to avoid. Sadly it seems most big cities have trouble spots (and political issues). Dallas has a couple that show up in the news a lot. Of course, down here an awful lot of regular citizens are armed at all times. Not very many muggings down here...

I'm sorry, but I can't figure out which jane you mean. Must be gettin too old.

George

Fishing Dude 02-24-2009 08:39 AM

What was Janes last name, was mayor in late 70's Jane Byrne.