Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Scottyb bought a Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=140750)

smallblock450sl 04-14-2018 11:55 AM

Scottyb bought a Yamaha

Way to go Scotty:thumbup: Come on, what year? What are the plans for it?

scottyb 04-14-2018 05:14 PM

Re: Scottyb bought a Yamaha

Yes, I haven't seen it yet :help: It is a 2013 with 6/8v. Apparently the drive system is stock. My plans are to boost it a bit so it launches when you press the gas :lol:

scottyb 04-25-2018 10:01 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Removed the rear flip seat from GTW. It looked nice but it weighs a ton. Seriously that thing is like a passenger that never gets out of the cart :roll:
That allowed me to gain some much needed access. 2 reusable push rivets hold the motor cover on... dig/pull the pins out and the cover comes off. This reveals a lot of dirt and a small in size Moric speed control logically & conveniently located at the top of the covered space above the motor. See pics.

I will put an Alltrax XCT in the cart soon.

smallblock450sl 04-26-2018 06:36 AM

Let the upgrades begin:thumbup:

dundeebarnbuggy 04-26-2018 07:35 AM

Lucky for you that rear seat is valuable right now. Mixed steel is 310$ a long ton right now!:thumbup: [Sent over 8 tons here last week.]

scottyb 04-28-2018 05:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Removed the rear seat. That was pretty simple.
I removed the access cover and realized we weren't going to get any clean pretty install pictures - lol !
I was about to tag the cables when I saw clear markings on all OEM cables and darn few small wires that were clearly colored red and black on the solenoid activation posts. So, I flipped the Run/Tow switch and grabbed a few sockets and small Makita nut driver.

I was immediately impressed with how easy it was to remove the original Moric control and solenoid. I wish I could say the same for the Alltrax install but is was not without a few small challenges. Nothing serious but certainly a bit harder than any Ezgo install. But there was no cutting or drilling needed for 400/200 combo which makes it easier than the Club Car.

I selected a 400a XCT controller and added the fan kit. I used the SW180 200/800 amp Solenoid with magnetic blowouts. Magnetic blowout extends the life of the solenoid significantly. Any solenoid with magnetic blowouts has a big terminal marked + and the main battery cable must land on the + terminal.
Previously I posted pics of the OEM set up so here are some pics of their removal. The main harness unplugs and so do F1 and F2. Then a few 10mm bolts and all the cables come off.... then 10 & 13mm for the Solenoid terminals. This took about 5 minutes

scottyb 04-28-2018 06:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The Alltrax XCT requires the blue Flex-Mount adapter for this cart. The Yamaha Moric controller is a 3 bolt mount... The mount is included with the controller. So I followed instructions, putting the 4 self locking nuts in the backside and covering with scotch tape so they don't fall out.
Make sure the Alltrax name was right side up I screwed it to the 3 original holes in the OEM mount plate.
Here is a look at the Flex-mount adapter, the 400 controller with the fan kit installed, and the fuse, and the ring terminals for the F1 & F2 wires.
You will also need 1/4" spade connectors for the 2 solenoid activation wires if you use the SW180 solenoid.
Installing these connector require special tools, wire cutter/strippers and electrical connector crimpers.
The last pic shows the F wires with the new ring terminals provided by Alltrax per my suggestion, you're welcome. lol

scottyb 04-28-2018 06:16 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I've mounted the adapter with the 4 nuts taped in the backside. and mounted the new solenoid using the old mounting bolts and holes. You can see I have put the main battery cable on the terminal marked +. And I have cut the ring terminals off of the small wires for this solenoid as it requires common 1/4 spade connectors. These little terminals are also marked + and - . I made certain red went to the + terminal and black to the - terminal. Again excuse the dirt - it is what it is.

scottyb 04-28-2018 06:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Time for the big wires. I was a but surprised to find the solenoid cable to the controller so bloody hard to attach. But the solenoid terminal was really very close to the controller terminal and wire was short. After a bit of head scratching I came upon a usable solution. A custom cable set would solve this challenge. I installed the Alltrax fuse between the Solenoid and the main battery + cable. I put it here because it tends to corrode when put on the battery end of the cable.
I'm on the home stretch and this is simple here, B- wire to controller B-, A1 motor to controller M-, and F1 and F2 to the terminals marked for them, all as shown in the owners manual... But wait, STOP. :shock:
If you land F1 and F2 as Alltrax shows in the install diagram the cart will go reverse in forward and forward in reverse... and driving around with that buzzer gets annoying fast. :lol: So make certain F2 is on J7, not J8 as shown in the manual.
After 2 years Alltrax is still sending this error to print :roll:

scottyb 04-28-2018 06:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well it's all buttoned up and moving in both directions correctly. I jetted up a little dirt hill but we are out of time for road test with the GPS today... More soon.