Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   All things Lithium (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Rowpow-Should I or not (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=161565)

Bama Brad 03-12-2020 06:32 PM

Rowpow-Should I or not

I have been following the discussions with great interest and wanted to get everyone's opinions on the Rowpow drop in lithium packs. I, like most of you, am usually a little skeptical of the lastest, greatest things on the market and normally will wait a while before I get one. Let the dust clear, so to speak. I hope the guys that have gotten these packs, as well as the battery/electrical experts and sponsors will chime with their 2 cents worth to clarify some of the things I think I understand to be correct or correct some my my perceptions. Please quote one of the following posts and make comments of your thoughts.

Bama Brad 03-12-2020 06:34 PM

Re: Rowpow-Should I or not

First is the initial cost- Around $1700.00 for the Rowpow vs $1400.00 for 8 6-volt Trojan T145's (in my area, about $175/each). But, this does include new BMS & Charger. $300 more is nothing to sneeze at! I like my money!

Bama Brad 03-12-2020 06:39 PM

LONGEVITY-Rowpow says 3500 cycles (too new on market to gauge years) vs 500-600 cycles for FLA (my experience is about 5-6 years). Gauging cycles, Rowpow will last 7 times as long (35 years), doubtful. But like one owner said, 10 years would be great! Hope he gets that....

Bama Brad 03-12-2020 06:41 PM

WEIGHT DIFFERENCE - 100# for Rowpow vs 450# for the 8 Trojans. This would be a big factor when you consider that when I go hunting, I have me and another fat guy or two with me.....maybe I won't get stuck as much.

Bama Brad 03-12-2020 06:49 PM

Maintanence- No more watering, cleaning 16 battery posts. 2 of my batteries are stuck back where I can't hardly get to them, pain in the A** to check and fill.

Warranty- 5 year for Rowpow vs 1 or 1.5 years. But what does that mean? If my pack fails in 4.5 years, do they prorate like batterys? And does that include the BMS and charger?

Bama Brad 03-12-2020 06:52 PM

PERFORMANCE-Guys that have installed these have been impressed with the perk to these. Not sure if that is from the less weight (100 vs 450) or if lithium delivers more umph. Also, they have mentioned so far they seem to be getting farther range. Again, not sure if that is from less weight or that you can run lithium down to 20%SOC vs FLA to only 50%SOC?

Bama Brad 03-12-2020 06:57 PM

REPLACEMENT PARTS -Will we be able to get replacement parts for these easily?

12 VOLT ACCESSORIES - No more hooking lights up to 2 6-volt batteries for lights, etc. Will have to have voltage reducer (which should have done already) or extra 12 volt battery for those (which will add more cost & weight).

bronsonj 03-13-2020 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bama Brad (Post 1697007)
PERFORMANCE-Guys that have installed these have been impressed with the perk to these. Not sure if that is from the less weight (100 vs 450) or if lithium delivers more umph. Also, they have mentioned so far they seem to be getting farther range. Again, not sure if that is from less weight or that you can run lithium down to 20%SOC vs FLA to only 50%SOC?

The performance increase for series or sepex carts (evidently RXV carts are different) is from both the big weight loss and that the voltage doesn't sag so much under load.

Range is a matter of amp hours. The more amp hours you get the more range. If you get the 56 Ah pack you should get less range than healthy Trojans I would imagine. I know it's apples/oranges but I used to have a 47 amp hour DIY pack and I estimated my range in at 12 to 13 miles of full speed driving. But if I drove at 16 to 18 mph the range increased incredibly. I later upgraded to a 94 amp hour pack and it's great. If you drive moderately, you will get very good range.

The SOC is different on lithium. You can drain them much more. But what's more interesting to me when I switched was how far the V would move from fully charged to fully depleted. consider that lead acid fully charged was 50.4v (or is it 50.7v, can't remember) then dead is 48.0. 2.7V of range. My DIY lith pack full charge is 57.6V and dead is 45.5V. So the cart acts like a supercar above 53V, acts like a fully charged lead acid around 49V to 52V and acts like a dead lead acid from 49V down to 45.5V. Roy Pow uses different lithium chemistry but it would be interesting to look at what the V range and see how that compares to your old lead acid.

bronsonj 03-13-2020 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bama Brad (Post 1696997)
First is the initial cost- Around $1700.00 for the Rowpow vs $1400.00 for 8 6-volt Trojan T145's (in my area, about $175/each). But, this does include new BMS & Charger. $300 more is nothing to sneeze at! I like my money!

My thoughts on this is so long as there is no catastrophic event the lithium will triple (at an absolute minimum with proper care) the life of lead acid. My presumption is that my pack will last 15+ years and when it's done the solid state batteries will be plentiful and much cheaper.

Or in 15 years things will have changed so fast that people will look at a lifted, 30mph cart the same way you or I look at a Betamax Player today...

Bama Brad 03-13-2020 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronsonj (Post 1697096)
My thoughts on this is so long as there is no catastrophic event the lithium will triple (at an absolute minimum with proper care) the life of lead acid. My presumption is that my pack will last 15+ years and when it's done the solid state batteries will be plentiful and much cheaper.

Or in 15 years things will have changed so fast that people will look at a lifted, 30mph cart the same way you or I look at a Betamax Player today...

If the Rowpow last 10 years, my cost per year is avg out to be $170/year compared to $$280/year/FLA (considering that I would have had to buy 2 sets of FLA's to last 10 years). If it lasts 15 years, that cost drops to $113.33/yr.vs the $280/yearFLA. Seems a no brainer.....