Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Columbia ParCar (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   1993 par car governor removal (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=186548)

Jbac86 09-02-2022 07:50 PM

1993 par car governor removal

I just picked up a 1993 2 stroke par car for pretty cheap. It was missing the driven clutch so I installed a new one. It runs pretty good but it is painfully slow so I was hoping to remove the governor to increase the speed a bit. Im not a golf cart mechanic so I was hoping for some advice on the location and removal of the governor. Thanks

Lochlin 09-06-2022 09:56 AM

Re: 1993 par car governor removal

The governor on those carts is nothing but a plate that rests against the primary clutch, pressing against it so that it can't spin all the fast. If that plate is gone then your governor is already removed and your speed problem is something else.

Lack of speed can be caused by a bunch of things. Certainly, the governor but also bad clutches, poor fuel delivery, and poor compression. Bad timing can also be an issue but your cart should have an electric ignition module in it which takes a lot of timing concerns out of the mix. I would make sure that the governor is removed then check compression before I did anything further.

Jbac86 09-08-2022 12:28 PM

Thanks for the input. I’ll start with that and let you know what I find.

Lochlin 09-08-2022 12:59 PM

Compression should be over 90 psi but these carts normally can run at a bit less than that. Check out the "Fuel Draw" sticky at the top of the Harley forum for some common fuel delivery information.

Jbac86 09-10-2022 03:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks. I forgot my compression tester at home and the cart is at my cottage so I’ll have to check it next weekend when I come back up. It looks like the governor has been removed. I pulled the starter/generator to go through it cause it’s been hard to start the last few weeks. Here’s a few pics of the engine if you could let me know if you see anything else that’s out of place I’d appreciate it. Thanks

Leon willis 09-11-2022 12:30 PM

Do you use the oil injection?

Jbac86 09-11-2022 06:57 PM

No, on the fuel tank there is a placard to mix it 85:1 which seems pretty lean but what do I know. It seems to be running pretty good it’s just slow

Lochlin 09-13-2022 09:04 AM

You have spanking new secondary clutch on there so that's good.

To be clear, your oil injection mechanicals are still in place so make sure you don't add anything to the tank if you are mixing.

I run 100 to 1. Really, it's only because that's the average of all of my 2 cycle machines. I am not about to mix 8 different cans of gas. "In the same ballpark" is fine for these engines.

I see that you have the choke cable spring in place and it looks good. That piece has a high fail rate, ie. won't push the choke off. If yours ever gets like that it can just be deleted and you can manually pull / push the choke on and off as needed. I somewhat prefer that anyway.

Lochlin 09-13-2022 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbac86 (Post 1908336)
It seems to be running pretty good it’s just slow

How slow is slow? Ungoverned, these carts should go 15 - 18 mph.

Jbac86 09-16-2022 01:47 PM

I downloaded a speedometer app on my phone. I’ll try it out tomorrow and get back to you.