Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Alltrax SR controller install (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=117069)

scottyb 04-14-2016 09:47 AM

Alltrax SR controller install

1 Attachment(s)
I will walk you through install and upgrade of a 99 Ezgo TXT. Stock ranch cart with a cargo box and SW182 shift kit installed 2 years ago.

I choose SR48500, so we could upgrade the motor later. Cart has 2.5 yr old Crown CR225 batteries. I may add one for more speed and torque at 42v.
Here is the users manual. This is as much printed material as you will find on this new control.

scottyb 04-14-2016 09:48 AM

Re: Alltrax SR controller install

2 Attachment(s)
And here is what we started with.

scottyb 04-14-2016 10:09 AM

5 Attachment(s)
First thing i notice is the molex plug with the control wires needs to get cut off and spade terminals put on each of the 4 wires. Note there are 2 short wires here in the harness. The black and red ones, strip the harness jacket back and you will find these 2 wires are only 4-5 inches long. This may work for the smaller solenoid but the 400 super duty solenoid requires more reach. Make new ones about 8-10 inches with 1/4 spade on one end and #10 stud ring terminal on the other.

How is a good time to refresh all the ring terminals on Battery plus and minus. the charger connection is 17 yrs old. Not to mention the stock cable set needs replacing. I was kind of surprised how bad they looked when I pulled them out. Looks like some damage was done to one cable. That's a breakdown waiting to happen.

scottyb 04-14-2016 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was pleased to see the control bolt in with 4 fasteners onto the OEM heat sink. The SR control has an integrated heat sink and fan so it can be mounted any where there is a supply of fresh air without heat problems.
It's a nice fit with lots of room to work, I like that. I was disappointed I have to source my own 4 bolts to mount it. I used 1.5 inch 1/4-20 bolts. Careful tightening these up, the controller base is plastic. Good & Snug is my suggestion. I got all 4 bolts started for alignment, then snugged the top 2 and removed the bottom 2 for the solenoid bracket.

scottyb 04-14-2016 10:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The OEM solenoid bracket will work for the SR400 and 200 solenoid.
For the SR500 and 400 solenoid I'm using the Alltrax solenoid bracket designed specifically for the 400 solenoid and taller profile SR500. The fan adds a little height.

For controller set up I plugged it into the laptop with usb1 to usb2 cable below. Update software version 2.1.8 is needed if you have the original version, available at Alltraxinc.com
My control came set for 0-5k throttle, this is the default setting. My cart is Ezgo ITS. I had to go into tools and enable throttle selections. Once that was done throttle selection was simple from a drop down menu.

I will be programming each control before they ship.
I can set throttle selection for you is you let me know what you need.

Volt_Ampere 04-14-2016 10:24 AM

What is the difference with this new control? I thought they were adding Lithium support.

scottyb 04-14-2016 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere (Post 1263708)
What is the difference with this new control? I thought they were adding Lithium support.

They are working on Lithium support. Both the XCT and SR have a battery management option in the program for lithium but I'm not sure it is active just yet. One big new thing is the personality selection, soon this control will have an external control for mode selection. Great for street to hill operation or adult to kiddie operation.
Additionally the soon to follow SRX will offer regen braking in series motors and AX drive compatibility. I won't hold my breath for this release. We have been given no dates.

scottyb 04-14-2016 01:30 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Since we are upgrading the original 275 amp control with a 500a control (570 amp peak output)
It's a good time to upgrade the SW182 to the larger SW202 for 500 amp and up controls.
First on the bench we tighten up the hard to reach bolts on the sides and mount the SW202 to the Carts Unlimited custom mount bracket shown. And install the suppression diodes, making sure the red end is on the terminal marked with the + sign.
Then we mount the whole unit in the cart using the new bolts supplied with the SW202 kit in the 2 holes originally used for the F&R switch.
For more information and kit pricing go here > http://www.cartsunlimited.net/reversing-contactors.html

scottyb 04-14-2016 01:33 PM

Now we need to make some cables 8)

Revolution 04-14-2016 01:46 PM

I am aware of series re-gen braking but what is AX drive?

cgtech 04-14-2016 02:38 PM

Nice preemptive strike! The lithium compatibility requires a whole other unit to handle the lithium batteries, it looks just like a XCT controller, but its red plastic.

scottyb 04-15-2016 01:47 PM

Sorry a typo - AC drive is what I meant to type.

Hopefully we can get more done on this later :thumbup:

Revolution 04-15-2016 10:49 PM

Ahh, AC, That I get, and would be very interested in.

Did you get the cables done and installed? I want to know how it compares to the SPM controllers.

scottyb 04-16-2016 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revolution (Post 1264244)
Ahh, AC, That I get, and would be very interested in.

Did you get the cables done and installed? I want to know how it compares to the SPM controllers.

I got swamped in other work but, to answer your question performance should be about the same as the SPM control. But we will see.

270Handiman 05-18-2016 12:49 PM

Bump (gentle nudge for some updates)

scottyb 05-26-2016 10:19 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the delay, I was out for surgery and then came back to the busiest 2 weeks of the year, I buttoned this up and tested on jack stands first as usual. It works. Cart is charging. I will have performance results after the charge and a tease ..... battery guy is bringing an additional CR225 6v battery so I can increase the pack to 42v.

Pics of the completed install. Notice the SR control does bolt to the OEM heat sink with your own 1/4 - 20 bolts or possibly the old controller cover bolts...
The Alltrax solenoid bracket is needed we sell them for $12.50 on the website. Don't forget to add to cart :thumbup:

FYI cable shown on control M- terminal upper left not marked is motor A2

scottyb 05-26-2016 10:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The directional shifting is done with a low amperage rocker included in the SW202 and SW182 reversing contactor kits. Best upgrade EVER for TXT Series cart.

Volt_Ampere 05-26-2016 07:59 PM

Nice setup! If I had a series cart, the first upgrade I would do would be to use solenoids for Fwd/Rev.

scottyb 05-26-2016 09:36 PM

Performance is surprisingly brisk. The little test cart is a 1998 or 99 stock series cart with a big heavy cargo box on it. It now spins the wheels on take offs if desired... However the soft start I programmed in is working nicely and I can ease up from a stop with no abrupt movement. That's a nice combination guys :thumbup: Tomorrow I get a 7th 6v battery delivered and I will finish out the 2g cable upgrade with 6 new batt to batt leads.
I'm really pleased so far, better performance than I expected for 36v. :shock: :thumbup:

Lilrascals 05-26-2016 10:02 PM

Thank you Scottyb I just got my spm48500 today and installed works great. Charging the batteries to see how it will go. Let me know how the 42v setup goes might want to do it also. I've already done the 2 awg wires upgrade and I am saving up for the sw202 switch right now

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

scottyb 05-26-2016 10:07 PM

I am anticipating a 17.5% increase in both speed and torque...... which means I will be in trouble for slinging gravel around. :lol:
But hey 1 more battery is so easy to add

flareside_thunder 05-27-2016 06:13 AM

I'm planning to do this swap this weekend. Was it fairly easy Lilrascals?

Scotty, I bought Handiman's setup. I understand it was set for 48v, is there anything I need to do to be able to run it on my Medalist? Is there a walk through for programming somewhere in the interwebs?

Lilrascals 05-27-2016 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 1278704)
I am anticipating a 17.5% increase in both speed and torque...... which means I will be in trouble for slinging gravel around. :lol:
But hey 1 more battery is so easy to add

Is there anything I'd need to change with going to one battery like the resistor or controller programming

Lilrascals 05-27-2016 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flareside_thunder (Post 1278760)
I'm planning to do this swap this weekend. Was it fairly easy Lilrascals?

Scotty, I bought Handiman's setup. I understand it was set for 48v, is there anything I need to do to be able to run it on my Medalist? Is there a walk through for programming somewhere in the interwebs?

It was easy for me because I just rewired mine front to back and upgraded it to 2 awg wires. It will be a super tight fit onto the heat sink with not alot of room side to side. And I had to drill and tap a hole for the lower hold down. Just upgrading the wires to 2awg made a difference with the new controller I was able to climb a huge hill with about a total of about 650 lbs on the cart and batteries only at about 37.3 volts

scottyb 05-29-2016 07:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The SR500 really woke the little 36v cart up - Lots of torque increase but speed was about the same, maybe a little faster..... but no surprise, that is to be expected for a series cart cotnroller upgrade

Now I've added 1 more 6v batteries for a total of 6/7v and 42v. Finished out the new 2g cable set and charging. 42v will give it a few more mph and more hill slurping torque. NICE 8)

TOBTEK 05-30-2016 12:42 PM

Question. What year did Ezgo start using the F/R switch up on the dash, vrs the mechanical switch down by your legs? I'm having F/R issues on our cart :(

JohnnieB 05-30-2016 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOBTEK (Post 1279782)
Question. What year did Ezgo start using the F/R switch up on the dash, vrs the mechanical switch down by your legs? I'm having F/R issues on our cart :(

Mid-2000, but they actually introduced a SepEx drive system in 1995.

The DCS was introduced in 1995 and had the F/R control switch in the same place as the high current mechanical F/R switch used in series drive carts.
The DCS was replaced by the PDS in 2000, but the ones built in early 2000 also had the F/R control next to the driver's knee and the later-2000 ones had the dash mounted rocker switch.

However, it sounds like you have a series drive cart.
If so, to get rid of the mechanical F/R switch you will need to replace it with a reversing contactor, which can be operated by a rocker switch on the dash, or anyplace convenient.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/reversing-contactors.html

scottyb 06-06-2016 12:35 PM

This is an install thread.

Here we are installing the Alltrax SR control in the Ezgo series TXT.

In an effort to stay on track please post questions or comments about the SR control install in the Ezgo TXT only.

If you have questions or comments about other controls and other carts please post in a thread on that topic or make your own upgrade threads.

I appreciate your help in keeping this thread on track as an install aid.

scottyb 07-12-2016 08:00 AM

The SR control now uses the new speed switch on the fly technology from Alltrax. See more info on this here > http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-controls.html :thumbup:

scottyb 08-05-2016 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the install diagram :thumbup:

morrow21 08-10-2016 06:21 PM

When adding a battery to go from 36 to 42 with this setup, are there any changes that need to be made to either the controller, charger, switch etc?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

scottyb 08-10-2016 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morrow21 (Post 1304513)
When adding a battery to go from 36 to 42 with this setup, are there any changes that need to be made to either the controller, charger, switch etc?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

With the SR control and the MZJ400 super solenoid there was a need to up size the precharge resistor only from 250 Ω to 470Ω. This is because the control is 36 to 48 volt compatible and so is the MZJ400 solenoid. Note not all solenoids are capable of multiple voltage operation.
The higher voltage charger actually passes lower amperage. Amperage is the determining factor in a conductors capability, so the charge receptacle and charge wires were okay for the higher voltage, whether it is 42 or 48v

We are now offering SR technology in our Club Car Conversion kits.
I hope this helps.

MillwrightMike 08-10-2016 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 1263706)
The OEM solenoid bracket will work for the SR400 and 200 solenoid.
For the SR500 and 400 solenoid I'm using the Alltrax solenoid bracket designed specifically for the 400 solenoid and taller profile SR500. The fan adds a little height.

For controller set up I plugged it into the laptop with usb1 to usb2 cable below. Update software version 2.1.8 is needed if you have the original version, available at Alltraxinc.com
My control came set for 0-5k throttle, this is the default setting. My cart is Ezgo ITS. I had to go into tools and enable throttle selections. Once that was done throttle selection was simple from a drop down menu.

I will be programming each control before they ship.
I can set throttle selection for you is you let me know what you need.

Hey Scottyb I believe mine is setup for the 0-5k throttle as well. I have an 06 ezgo pds so shouldn't it be set to ITS as well?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

scottyb 08-10-2016 09:28 PM

Ezgo pds would be an ITS throttle input.
It's easy to change in the user program if needed.

scottyb 11-17-2016 08:17 PM

bump

Chevy072 01-14-2017 05:57 PM

Anyone have pictures of a club car ds install of the SR controller. Dang just realized this is an ezgo thread and not a general one

scottyb 02-14-2017 12:19 PM

Ezgo install bump

Cgainer 03-21-2017 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 1304517)
With the SR control and the MZJ400 super solenoid there was a need to up size the precharge resistor only from 250 Ω to 470Ω. This is because the control is 36 to 48 volt compatible and so is the MZJ400 solenoid. Note not all solenoids are capable of multiple voltage operation.
The higher voltage charger actually passes lower amperage. Amperage is the determining factor in a conductors capability, so the charge receptacle and charge wires were okay for the higher voltage, whether it is 42 or 48v

We are now offering SR technology in our Club Car Conversion kits.
I hope this helps.

Have a 36 volt system now. In a year or so when batteries go out plan to upgrade to a 48 volt system (6 8v batteries). Seems like I would just need to swap a solenoid, would that be it? thanks
BTW install looks great.

cgtech 03-22-2017 12:37 AM

If the controller is ready for 48v (stock controller is not good for 48v), you need 48v batteries, 48v charger, and a solenoid that is good for 48v. Another thing to consider, your lights (if you have them) need a 12v supply. On a stock 36v ezgo, they were supplied by "tapping into" the pack to get 12v from 2 of your 6v batteries. That isn't going to be quite the same with 6x 8v batteries. Your best choice to supply your 12v lights (if you have them, or will in the future) is a dc convertor to "step down" 48v to 12v for the lights & accessories. There are many sources for them, but steer clear of the $15 eBay special (it's junk). ScottyB offers one that has a good record of reliability (www.cartsunlimited.net).

stuball56 06-23-2017 03:16 AM

Great post. I am having trouble installing my controller/solenoid/f/r switch. Where exactly are the blue and green wires connected? And the orange is directly to solenoid? I have forward and reverse, although they are reversed. Also my solenoid gets very hot???
As it is now, I also have no key function, the cart is "live" whether the key is on or not.