Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric golf carts (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Best bang for the buck in 1-2" lift to fit 20" tires on 95 club car ds electric? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=158504)

Ottawaphil 10-31-2019 10:58 AM

Best bang for the buck in 1-2" lift to fit 20" tires on 95 club car ds electric?

Hello everyone. I bought a 95 club car that is stock and I got a set of 20 by 8 inch tires on 10 inch wheels for$119 new for the set.

So i need to lift it at least an inch.

For the back i was going to make a shackle lift. Make sense? Better ideas for diy? Spring over is easy too as i have a welder but dont need 4" of lift...

For the front it it better to use a spacer lift, or wheelbase extension or a combination of both or what? Trying to not waste $200 on a kit would rather build it myself unless there is a good reason to buy something.

Thanks for your help.

swb713 10-31-2019 01:22 PM

Re: Best bang for the buck in 1-2" lift to fit 20" tires on 95 club car ds electric?

They make a spacer that you can install in the front between frame and leaf spring. That will give you about an inch or 1.5 inches in front. These are a cheap way to get a little clearance in the front without breaking the wallet open too far.

Heavy Duty leaf springs in back should give you enough clearance there.

I'm not an expert, but have looked into this before for my '92 DS I used to have.

Check with some of the Site Sponsors. They will get you covered for sure. :thumbup:

Ottawaphil 10-31-2019 01:26 PM

Re: Best bang for the buck in 1-2" lift to fit 20" tires on 95 club car ds electric?

I was trying to avoid the heavy duty springs as I think they will make the ride quality worse (usually hd springs ride hard)and it's already poor. Plus shackles are free, I have scrap steel in the garage. Same with the spacer, no need to pay $50 for $5 of steel with a few holes.
How would you who have tried compare front spacer lift vs front wheel base extension? Pros and cons of either?

swb713 10-31-2019 06:54 PM

I was just merely answering your question.
You didn't say anything about ride quality, nor did you say anything about being able to fab your own stuff up out of your scrap pile.

Good luck.

Ottawaphil 10-31-2019 08:45 PM

Sorry i wasn't more clear. Thanks for answering.
I would rather build the stuff myself instead of buying parts to be more clear.
I guess all I want to know at this point is what good is moving the front axle forwards vs spacer lift? Does it handle better with a longer wheelbase or something? Or is purely for tire clearance? Spacer lift seems easiest but I can relocate the axle forward if there is a good reason.
I have welding equipment cutting equipment torches drill press everything like that so fabrication would not be a problem

Thanks