Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Precedent cutting out at 25 mph (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=154727)

huntingcart2393 07-04-2019 02:28 PM

Precedent cutting out at 25 mph

At top speed my precedent will reach 25 mph then die for a second and kick back on once it slows to about 23 mph. Is this the governor or some sort of speed sensor? I don’t want to change the governor if that’s the case I’ll leave it alone. If it is a speed control of some sorts can it be taken off and does is cause any potential damage to the engine? Thanks!

raenglehart 07-04-2019 03:23 PM

Re: Precedent cutting out at 25 mph

Rev (RPM) limiter.. all carts have them as a fail-safe to prevent over rev-ing the engine and POW it goes. It can be disconnected, but you'll need to add a tach to avoid blowing your engine up. I'm not 100% where the wire is on your particular cart, but certain someone will chime in on that front. If you're doing 25 already, someone has done some tweaking already unless there newer carts hit that out of the factory.. all my carts are older

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

huntingcart2393 07-04-2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raenglehart (Post 1632284)
Rev (RPM) limiter.. all carts have them as a fail-safe to prevent over rev-ing the engine and POW it goes. It can be disconnected, but you'll need to add a tach to avoid blowing your engine up. I'm not 100% where the wire is on your particular cart, but certain someone will chime in on that front. If you're doing 25 already, someone has done some tweaking already unless there newer carts hit that out of the factory.. all my carts are older

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

It’s got 23” tires and the cpp clutch machine and kit. That’s all I’ve done to it since stock

Fairtax4me 07-04-2019 09:41 PM

Yep, you’re hitting on the rev limiter.
I wanna say the newer carts have it built into the coil, but I could be wrong.
If it has a separate limiter it would be on the front of the engine above the oil drain plug, with a brown wire attached to the mounting bracket. Disconnect the brown wire and that disables the limiter.
You do risk blowing up the motor by doing that.
Install a tachometer and try to keep the revs under about 4,000.

DannyAbear 07-04-2019 10:51 PM

4000 rpm, factory gov is 2950 rpm

huntingcart2393 07-05-2019 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairtax4me (Post 1632355)
Yep, you’re hitting on the rev limiter.
I wanna say the newer carts have it built into the coil, but I could be wrong.
If it has a separate limiter it would be on the front of the engine above the oil drain plug, with a brown wire attached to the mounting bracket. Disconnect the brown wire and that disables the limiter.
You do risk blowing up the motor by doing that.
Install a tachometer and try to keep the revs under about 4,000.

Before I added the lift, tires and clutch I never hit the rev limiter. Why would added that allow me to rev higher. I understand the larger tires should add speed but why would I now be hitting a higher rev than I was before modifications

Fairtax4me 07-05-2019 07:50 AM

The clutch machining makes it run higher rpm.

huntingcart2393 07-05-2019 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairtax4me (Post 1632411)
The clutch machining makes it run higher rpm.

Good deal thanks. I might run the rev limiter to rocket switch in my dash so I can have it on most of the time and flip it off for times I want to run higher speeds. If it’s running 25 now what speeds can be expected with rev limiter off if I stay at say 35-3800 rpm