Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Members Rides (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   2001 CC DS gas - frame off complete rustoration (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=172640)

The Penguin 01-12-2021 04:05 PM

2001 CC DS gas - frame off complete rustoration

5 Attachment(s)
This is my 2001 CC DS. I believe we purchased it in 2007. It's been used and stored at our beach property since then - about a year of that it was stored outdoors. Years of salt air have taken it's toll on the cart. We purchased it already lifted with the not-so-attractive black & silver paint job and Harley Davidson sticker on the front. The previous owner needed money to pay for his girlfriend's breast implant surgery - so it was priced for quick sale :lol:

Last year or so, we saw a cart that had a DoubleTake body swap done on it and Mom loved the "teal" color. During the "quarantine" period last year we started talking about doing the body swap vs. buying a new cart. New carts run around $10,000 - so rebuild it is.

Starting this thread to document the process in case anyone else wants to attempt the same mess I'm finding myself in.

The plan is to completely strip it to the frame (done), clean, paint/coat/rubbercoat everything as it goes back together, add radio (old one died), horns (air horn and ooooga horn), LED head/tail lights, some LED accent lighting, and attempt to keep the entire installation as "sanitary" as possible.

I'll be installing the DoubleTake Spartan body, Sentry dash, Max Cruze rear seat and matching front seat, color matched steering wheel, fender flares and brush guard.

Here's some before photos:
and starting to strip it down:

Stripped to the frame:

engine and transmission are out...and ugly

The Penguin 01-12-2021 04:15 PM

Re: 2001 CC DS gas - frame off complete rustoration

1 Attachment(s)
who cleans plastics in the dishwasher? this guy :lhmo:

The Penguin 01-12-2021 04:20 PM

quandry - how would you clean the transaxle?

I'm thinking to disassemble the brake assemblies, pull the axle covers, have them blasted down to near-white metal, coat with Ospho, then reinstall and spray them with rubber undercoat spray.

How about the transmission case itself? It's super dirty with corrosion. Acid wash perhaps?

Wakko47 01-13-2021 01:04 PM

Looks good so far! Nice cart.

The Penguin 01-18-2021 12:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well the unthinkable happened this weekend, and now I’m shopping for a new driven clutch. :thumbdown:

The Penguin 01-18-2021 12:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
But I also got started with some blasting of existing parts so they can be coated with Ospho and then painted. I really should take more photos

jwgoad 01-31-2021 01:02 PM

Are you getting rid of the current flip-seat? I’d be interested in it, just not sure if it would work on a Yamaha G16

The Penguin 02-01-2021 12:15 AM

yes, I will be selling it. Would be up to you to determine if it fits your application.

jwgoad 02-01-2021 01:33 PM

Width measurement should be enough for me to go off of.