Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   SO CLOSE to moving! (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=172593)

simicrintz 01-10-2021 09:34 PM

SO CLOSE to moving!

Finished up all of my wiring today and even hooked up the big scary red wire (battery positive) and nothing exploded! So happy! Turned the key and ran through the checks on my AH meter and everything looked great-WooHoo!!

Put the switch on F and pushed the peddle (rear lifted and on jackstands, just in case)-nothing until I got it all the way depressed. Contactor closed and the rear wheel (passenger side) slowly spun.... Did the same thing when I put the switch on R.

Controller is a Curtis 1268 (new) and it displayed the 1.2 LED code-Throttle Fault 1 (Wiper signal out of range). Brand new MCOR (everything is brand new in the cart). My guess is that I have a wire reversed (Since everything else works and since the wiring harness that I bought does not exactly match the wires out of the MCOR).

For you smart folks this is probably easy, but for me it is hours (days?) of trying to figure it out. I was sooooo excited when I had no big sparks, the AH meter displayed all the right stuff, and even when I saw the contactor close and I really thought that I was finally going for a ride today (after 8 months of intermittently working on this)!

Any simple explanations that will put a smile on my face? Thank you!!

Sergio 01-11-2021 07:30 AM

Re: SO CLOSE to moving!

Since you have used so many non original components, harness and spliced connectors, the best way to check the throttle is directly on the Controller 24-pin connector.

Look at your Curtis 1268 manual for proper pin orientation and test the voltage on pin #15 (throttle wiper).

The voltage should be less than 0.3v when the micro switch in the MCOR clicks to over 4.65v at full throttle.

It is also important that the MCOR low side (typically purple wire) goes directly to Controller pin #14 and not to B- or spliced with any other wires.

simicrintz 01-11-2021 10:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you, Sergio. You have confirmed what I was thinking (since the harness wires do not match the MCOR wires-close but not exactly) and saved me a ton of time tracking everything back with this reply. Hopefully I can check it later today when I get back home and go for a ride!

Pic of harness coming into controller (for whatever it may be worth). Thank you again, Sergio!!

simicrintz 01-12-2021 10:42 AM

Woke up this morning with a thought (that I am not smart enough to answer)!. I originally thought that I was going to use a V-Glide (which is what I ordered initially) but after reading here I sent it back and ordered an MCOR. The wiring harness was setup for the V-Glide; is that my problem? And if so, is there a (simple) fix?

EDIT: I have not had time to go check voltage on the connections yet but thought I would add this info since it popped into my head and may be relevant.

Sergio 01-12-2021 12:48 PM

The only way is to test the throttle voltage directly at the 24-pin connector pin #15.

It is important that the throttle negative wire (purple) goes directly to the Controller pin #14 and not shared/spliced with any other device.

simicrintz 01-12-2021 05:56 PM

Thank you, Sergio. I did not know if the harness was exactly the same for a V-Glide and an MCOR so thought that I would throw that out there. Not sure why it wouldn't be the same but would rather ask and look stupid than not provide the info.

I will try and get out tonight to check voltage and wiring as you suggest!

Sergio 01-12-2021 06:21 PM

There are many flavors of the VGlide body setup but as I recall you are using an IQ harness.

In any event the reading on the controller will tell us if it is wired correctly and how it needs to be corrected if not.

simicrintz 01-12-2021 08:56 PM

At pin # 15 I get nothing (0.00) in the pedal up position, and 1.24 at pedal full down. The harness/24 pin connector has nothing in pin #14 at all.........

This is my wiring harness if it helps at all:

https://www.nivelparts.com/downloads...nstall%202.pdf

Sergio 01-12-2021 09:28 PM

There has to be a wire on pin #14, are you sure you are looking at the connector properly?

Pins 13,14,15 are on the top right of the 24 pin connector closest to the 6 pin connector on the 1268 controller (bottom is where the motor cables connect).

I though you bought an IQ harness, that is a Regen to IQ conversion harness and not very similar since it uses the key switch for tow/run.

Anyway, look at the 1268 manual to make sure you have the proper pins on the 1268 24-pin connector.

simicrintz 01-12-2021 09:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I had the pin diagram with me when I went out; couldn't believe it when I saw # 14 empty! I will go out again and look to be sure, but I am pretty confident that I checked it correctly, but I have been wrong before!

I bought the entire unit as a kit (motor, controller, contactor and wire set) and then went back to them when I needed the harness; the one I bought was the one they said I needed........

Coupla pics for clarification.