Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   workhorse will not run (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=21490)

Gramps750 08-10-2009 12:28 PM

workhorse will not run

I have an older workhorse and it will not run with both sparkplugs in. If you pull 1 plug out and put it into the plug wire and ground it it will run on 1 cyl. Put the plug back in and it won't run. Put a new coil on and it didn't make a difference. Does anyone have an idea what might be wrong. Any help would be great.
Gramps

crash12888 08-10-2009 12:41 PM

Re: workhorse will not run

Make sure battery is fully charged, does it spin over considerably slower when both plugs in?
Move the firing plug and wire to othe cylinder, does it run on one cylinder there?
Need to do a compression check on both cylinders.

Gramps750 08-10-2009 01:45 PM

Batt is charged and it does turn over slower when both plugs are in. It doesn't matter which plug I take out and ground it will run but the minute you put it back in it just turns over. Do these engines have a condensor for the coil? I have never seen anything like this before and I have worked on cars for many years.
Gramps

Team Redesign Carts 08-10-2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gramps750 (Post 258736)
I have an older workhorse and it will not run with both sparkplugs in. If you pull 1 plug out and put it into the plug wire and ground it it will run on 1 cyl. Put the plug back in and it won't run. Put a new coil on and it didn't make a difference. Does anyone have an idea what might be wrong. Any help would be great.
Gramps

Did you try getting new sparkplugs?

scottyb 08-10-2009 04:22 PM

Does the engine have a good solid ground ?

N2TOYS 08-10-2009 07:54 PM

If the motor was backfiring when is was running befor this problem, it could be the key on the flywheel has sheered...It sounds like a timing problem somewhere...If it won't run with both plugs in, and turns slower, it sounds like the coil is double firing at the same time and fighting aginst each other...QUESTION...If you leave both plugs in but just take one plug wire loose, will it run on one cyl??

pizzamaker 08-10-2009 08:13 PM

you need to start by checking the valve clearance! these engines are well known for valve problems. once the valves are set try to run it, if it won't run you will need to check the compression! good compression is between 140 and 160 lbs. once you can answer these questions it will be alot easer to point you in the right direction.

tonyton 08-10-2009 08:33 PM

:burnout::iagree::iagree::hello1::hello1::hello1:

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizzamaker (Post 259270)
you need to start by checking the valve clearance! these engines are well known for valve problems. once the valves are set try to run it, if it won't run you will need to check the compression! good compression is between 140 and 160 lbs. once you can answer these questions it will alot easer to point you in the right direction.

Welcome to the forum

sccowboy 08-10-2009 11:44 PM

valves n compression would be my suggestion as well.

dirtysouth 08-11-2009 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizzamaker (Post 259270)
you need to start by checking the valve clearance! these engines are well known for valve problems. once the valves are set try to run it, if it won't run you will need to check the compression! good compression is between 140 and 160 lbs. once you can answer these questions it will be alot easer to point you in the right direction.

8)Well said...:thumbup: