Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Big Block Talk! (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   intermittent dead cylinder issue- vanguard 23hp (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=90685)

wuntunearlybko 02-23-2014 07:14 AM

intermittent dead cylinder issue- vanguard 23hp

I have a 23hp completely stock (for now), brand new Vanguard. recently it has been hard to start and it backfires. i also noticed when i put my hand over each tailpipe the rear cylinder stays hot but the front cylinder runs cool until i blip the throttle. it also seems to change when i mess with the choke. i JUST pulled the carb last night and cleaned it out as i thought maybe its a clogged jet. gonna get some aviation fuel (high test, non-eth) today and see if that did it

in the meantime, any of you had this issue before? any other suggestions?

jason

kawasaki 02-23-2014 09:54 AM

Re: intermittent dead cylinder issue- vanguard 23hp

Dont buy the aviation fuel, octane is too high,and too much money, just get non ethenol fuel, no more than 90 octane.

dragos28 02-23-2014 09:59 AM

From what i've learned from user 1989Marathon on here,
i'd suggest first checking the spark plugs, making sure you have spark, and make sure that they are clean.

next you should check the fuel/air mix screw. screw it all the way in until it seats and then turn it out 1.5 turns

hopefully that help

wuntunearlybko 02-23-2014 03:15 PM

eh i went ahead and bought race fuel this morning so i could test. i only got a couple of gallons bc of cost. cleaned out the tank and fuel bowl to remove any junk and ran the new fuel hoping it would make a change. i still seem to have the same issue. i can feel the exhaust temp rise and fall, its kinda weird. i did check spark on both plugs and its good. swapped the plugs with each other and the front cylinder remains the culprit. they are a little dark but they dont look too bad. i will clean them up and try again. i will also try the mixture screw this afternoon and report back.

thanks guys
Jason

1989Marathon 02-23-2014 03:30 PM

Is this a single or dual carb?

wuntunearlybko 02-23-2014 03:39 PM

single carb

1989Marathon 02-23-2014 03:42 PM

Have you checked the valve lash? Set them all to .004".
When it backfires, is it through the exhaust or the carb?

93yellowclubcar 02-23-2014 03:42 PM

Do you perchance have a tach hooked up to the plug wire on that cylinder? I read once where this caused a cylinder to go dead and it eventually toasted the engine.

wuntunearlybko 02-23-2014 03:46 PM

no i havent checked valve lash, i bought this motor new so i just ASSumed it was set correctly. i will see if i can check.

no i dont have a tach hooked up, i think i have an extra one laying around i think has a 2 cyl setting. i will see if i can find it

jason

1989Marathon 02-23-2014 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wuntunearlybko (Post 990106)
single carb

I mean single barrel, or 2-barrel?

How long have you had this motor.