Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   1986 Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=48411)

dewy 05-17-2011 11:41 PM

1986 Club Car

Hi, im looking at buying a 1986 Club Car. The owner says the cart is in pretty good condition. He mentioned that the cart goes full speed at 3/4 throttle, and once you push the gas pedal further then 3/4 throttle the cart sputters and stops, but will start up again as long as you dont go over 3/4 throttle. He said he contacted club car about this problem and they told him its a linkage in the throttle pedal or something along those lines. Could this be right? I myself am thinking it might be a carb problem and once you go over 3/4 throttle it get to much fuel and floods itself to a stop. Or could there be some other more serious problems with the cart? He said he used the cart like this for the last 2 years without any issue, as long as he didnt go over 3/4 throttle. The cart has all brand new rubber, and a windshield... he is asking $1100 for the cart. Unless the problem with the full throttle sputter and stop is a big issue, i think thats a pretty good deal. Anyone know what the issue with the sputter and stop might be?? Thanks!!

dirtmanmartin 05-18-2011 05:40 AM

Re: 1986 Club Car

Clean the carb thouroughly and check the vent tube. May be clogged.

lockman1 05-18-2011 07:30 AM

IMO... it sounds like the governor arm has loosened up, or is adjusted improperly,
and the rev limiter is kicking in and shutting the engine down, I'd suggest trying to readjust the governor first!

I don't have the directions for an 86, but, maybe someone else does!

8)

shadowman 05-18-2011 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman1 (Post 567451)
IMO... it sounds like the governor arm has loosened up, or is adjusted improperly,
and the rev limiter is kicking in and shutting the engine down, I'd suggest trying to readjust the governor first!

I don't have the directions for an 86, but, maybe someone else does!

8)

i agree someone overadjusted the gov. so the limitor is just backing it down....... unless the cart is mint 1100 is a bit much..........one thing to keep in mind is a 86 lots of parts may not be available anymore and when you do find them they are going to be costly there is nothing cheap about the parts.........other than that just enjoy it......that cart up here would go for the same price whats sad is down south i can pick up a 2005 for 1500 but up here triple it.....................................8)

dewy 05-18-2011 08:36 PM

thanks for the reply's. If i buy it Ill try the governer first and see if that fixes the problem. Up here in Saskatchewan, Canada, carts arent cheap. Old 3 wheeled harleys that just barely run are selling for just under the $1000 mark... from a dealership a 2000 club car fleet cart goes from anywhere between $2000 and $3000. Hopefully this cart is in mint condition, but even if its in just in good shape, i think it will be worth it..... thanks again!!