Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Clone Engine Swaps (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   transaxle won't shift into forward or reverse (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=95763)

allenc3 06-29-2014 11:09 PM

transaxle won't shift into forward or reverse

I just finished installing a VC 460 clone into my EZGO (1995). When prepping the cart for the new engine, I found my standard shift cables to short with the new motor mount installed, so I ordered a new set of shift cables fromr a 350WH that are 3 inches longer. did not seem to be a problem installing those cables, but now cannot get cart to shift out of neutral to forward or reverse. The EZGO manual I have is for newer carts and only covers single cable systems. Mine is the 2 cable version.

Is there anything special I should be looking at in adjusting new shift cables?

Now, ready to drive cart

slonomo 06-30-2014 06:31 AM

Re: transaxle won't shift into forward or reverse

I've heard of some guys carts not shifting while the engine is running due to idle speed and clutching. If your primary clutch does not have a roller bearing, you'll need to back the belt off so there is a little slack at idle. This slack will give the belt some room to "slip" on the sheave faces while the engine is running. Back the idle down as low as it can go without stalling.

If you can't shift while the engine is off....check how tight the cables are. If there is any tension on them at all, you'll need more length. Any way to reroute them?

deerhunter30 06-30-2014 12:16 PM

You might need to adjust the cables a little at the transaxle also, make sure you don't have the neutral lock out engaged if yours has one.

allenc3 06-30-2014 12:18 PM

I installed new longer cabals as the stock cabals would not work with the vc motor mount.

This is frustrating, as my new motor is installed and running great and I can't get the **** cart in gear to try it out!

bud light 06-30-2014 12:27 PM

If you have a neutral lock it will be on the back of your shift selector.

sho305 06-30-2014 07:15 PM

Most 2 cable you need a slight pressure between them (against each other) but not too much. That tends to make them stay in the gear they are in if pressure is right. More pressure they don't want to shift. They have to be adjusted properly so the trans is shifted in the right place, like all the way into each gear.

rib33024 06-30-2014 07:45 PM

Un hook one cable, then shift it in to gear adjust that cable while it's in gear, then adjust the other cable to fit, then it should work

allenc3 06-30-2014 09:21 PM

I did finally get it into forward gear. Afraid to take it out as might not be able to reengage. Gonna try RIB33024's method of adjusting one and then the other to get it right, On a stock cart this would be easy or at least easier than on my clone (Vegas Carts 460) where I have to do this from the bottom, at least on the forward side. I can reach the top through.

Thanks for the hints.

army 07-01-2014 07:31 AM

That's a good plain English explanation for how the two cable system works Sho. I am currently experimenting with mine to see if I can eliminate the stuck in gear issue I have. It sometimes jams in rev or fwd unless I shut it off. As soon I do that it immediately becomes shiftable (according to my spell checker shiftable is not actually a word, which means I can spell better than my computer. Hah!)

I got fed up with the sideways shifter so I re-positioned it and made a brace to hold it steady. My seats are separate so I had room for the shifter between them. It works really good but it didn't help with finding neutral when it's running.

http://www.gofastgarage.com/shifter2.jpg

http://www.gofastgarage.com/shifter3.jpg

Please excuse the goofy tire and wheel combo. It's temporary. I have ATV style Mudlite 26x12-12's tires for the back and 26x10-12's for the front. Haven't found the wheels I want yet. The body looks a little crappy right now too. The cart is coming apart for blasting, stripping and paint before the summer is over. Just want to get the shade tree engineering all done first.

sho305 07-01-2014 10:45 PM

Belt drag can make it stick in gear, though the ezgo trans I am sure is different than the yamaha. Yami will shift hard if there is pressure on the secondary then again they grind once into neutral and you can't get into any gear once the input starts to spin. With a really slow idle you can shift it if you don't waste time. Hey Army, we all start someplace lol. Been some real wrecks on here that were a bucket of parts and came out to be really nice rides.