Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How's am I stop this (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=76293)

bigsal51 02-19-2013 09:12 PM

How's am I stop this

1 Attachment(s)
How do I stop this rust or is it the paint that is pealing?

pachanga90 02-19-2013 09:17 PM

Re: How's am I stop this

Its' a little of both.The only way to really stop it,is strip the cart down,and either sand it down,or sandblast it.Then coat it with a good Epoxy-Sealer,or Rust Preventative/Convertor-Primer.Then paint as you want over it.The other option is blast it and powder-coat it.Hope this helps.:thumbup:

hmsnider 02-20-2013 09:15 AM

There's a product called POR15 that encapsulates rust. You apply it with a brush. I have used it on cars and golf carts. You can apply it, sand it and paint over it. Available at most hardware stores. Hope this helps. One warning. Wear gloves. If it gets on your skin you will wear it for several days!

Furyous 02-20-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmsnider (Post 842039)
There's a product called POR15 that encapsulates rust. You apply it with a brush. I have used it on cars and golf carts. You can apply it, sand it and paint over it. Available at most hardware stores. Hope this helps. One warning. Wear gloves. If it gets on your skin you will wear it for several days!

I can testify to that. The product hardens with moisture, so the paint I got on my hands that I tried to wash off with soap and water stayed on my skin for two weeks!

Great stuff, though. Just be warned that it is unstable in uv light so if you are going to put it somewhere where it is exposed to sunlight, put some kind of top coat on it. I used rustoleums rattle can bedliner spray after two coats of por15. Tough as nails and no rust resurfacing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Gonkulor 02-20-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmsnider (Post 842039)

I agree with hm and Fury. POR15 is the bomb diggity. One recommendation is to knock any loose rust off with a heavy bristle brush. Then slather it on. Yes if you get on your skin you will be wearing it until you naturally shed your skin. The stuff is as tough as nails, comparable to powdercoating in my mind.

Another recommendation is to use wax paper between the lid and the can once you close the can. If you don't do that you will have to cut the can to use it again.

Tonka329 02-20-2013 12:51 PM

Yup! X3 on the POR15. I used it on a tractor I restored last spring