Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   23 HP Engine placement concens (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=155064)

Bubsbuggie 07-14-2019 02:36 PM

23 HP Engine placement concens

5 Attachment(s)
Nedd advice Please. I have concerns about the angle of my trans/motor carrier. Please see pics. This affects the angle at which my motors sits. I worry about the engine not getting the proper lubrication it needs. Is this an issue that I need to concern myself with? Any Ideas?

Also see pic - "cart 17". If this is the oil drain spout I am going to have a hell of a time changing my oil. Currently the motor is just sitting in place.

Dave in VA 07-14-2019 04:06 PM

Re: 23 HP Engine placement concens

1 Attachment(s)
Shim up the back 2x what it is now. That'll help. The engine doesn't need to be perfectly level. You'll be fine...

This is mine before I got rid of the OEM air filter. Raise the rear enough to plumb in an oil drain line. I didn't do this, and my oil drains onto the motor mount. I just clean up the mess and deal with it.

Put back the OEM engine mount. Set the engine in place and lineup the passenger side mounting holes. They should line up. Enlarge the drivers side holes as needed. The CCP kit uses billet aluminum blocks under the engine, utilizing the stock engine mount. The rear block is thicker than the front one, by maybe 2x.

Field6565 07-14-2019 04:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I would shim the rear of the motor maybe an inch or so to level it some. Here's a few pics of a 479cc Vanguard in my non lifted G16. Yeah it's tight. I have just enough room to remove the drain plug and oil filter. I see you're using the Jake's heavy duty shocks? Good choice with the single sway arm pivot point. Way to much sway with out it.

Bubsbuggie 07-14-2019 08:26 PM

Do you think a guy can take out the oil drain plug, put in a 90 degree elbow and then put in a plug into the elbow? Seems like that would be the way to go.

I Think I got a plan on how to raise the rear. Going to get some 4" C-channel, cut the one side down shorter than the other side so that it is slanted and weld a flat piece on top to make it Square stock with an angle on the top. Build a mounting plate and bolt it to the top of the new square stock.

Field6565 07-14-2019 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubsbuggie (Post 1635490)
Do you think a guy can take out the oil drain plug, put in a 90 degree elbow and then put in a plug into the elbow? Seems like that would be the way to go.

That would work. I think they sell a kit that is a fitting with a hose and a plug at the end of it.

Rooster59 07-15-2019 05:28 AM

What about lowering the front swingarm pivot to get closer to level? Looks like a pretty steep angle with the lift you have.

TheNewGuy 07-15-2019 05:38 AM

15 degrees is max continuous operating angle for vanguards. This is in the B/S Vanguard manual somewhere.

slonomo 07-15-2019 06:59 AM

Yeah that looks pretty steep, get an angle finder and see where it is. If The New Guy is right about 15 degrees, you might be ok?

I like my engines level. I always drop the front swing arm mounts or modify the swingarm to make the angle near level. I haven't done a G16 yet, so it looks as if your only option is to drop the front pivot mount.

TheNewGuy 07-15-2019 07:37 AM

Just to be clear, I've never run any of my engines on that much of an angle. I make them much more level. See swing arm drop thread in my signature.

HBR 07-15-2019 08:24 AM

I don't think that rubber pivot joint between the frame and front of the swingarm is going to last long at that angle. Looks like you must have that thing stretched to the max.