Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Columbia ParCar (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Columbia Par Car Primary Clutch Removal. (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=40527)

columbia 10-30-2010 09:17 PM

Columbia Par Car Primary Clutch Removal.

I have a 1993 Columbia golf cart and clutch will not come off. Despite many posts about installing a puller bolt into the clutch shaft, my clutch does not have internal threads to do that. Here is what I have done, but not successfull in getting the clutch off. I installed a push rod into the clutch shaft, then I removed the clutch retaining nut and placed behind that a couple grade 8 large flat washers, and put the clutch nut back on, then I installed a bearing seperator tool behind the large washers to pull against. Then I installed a harmonic balancer tool to use as a push/pull setup. Pushing against the push rod into (towards the crank shaft) and pulling out against the large flat washers on the clutch shaft. It will not budge, what I'am I doing wrong? When this failed I also tried heat, still no go. It seems like a 9/16 fine thread tap might be able to cut threads into the clutch shaft but it would seem the setup I have would give the same amount of pull if not more by doing it as described. It is my understanding that my clutch is an IMC clutch are they known to be different than other clutches? I'am second owner of my cart and it has low hours, it is actually a carryall or truck type cart. Any tips you can give will be appreciated.

Thanks, Ron

jeggers 10-30-2010 10:07 PM

Re: Columbia Par Car Primary Clutch Removal.

ron can you take a picture, I am having a little trouble following your post. Remove the retaining nut and take a picture :thumbup:

columbia 10-31-2010 02:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Working on pictures, will get to later. I took some but file size is too large.

columbia 10-31-2010 02:55 PM

Guess my picture went through after all. The bolt is loose that goes into the crank to allow room for the clutch to pop off. I also tried a pusher rod and thought threading a bolt in would help (something different to try). Perhaps I got the law of physics all wrong and I'am pulling pushing the wrong way? As mentioned, my clutch does not have internal threads for a pusher bolt.

Ron

jeggers 10-31-2010 11:38 PM

Looks like the clutch is off.

jeggers 11-03-2010 02:28 AM

I am confused:dontknow:

columbia 11-07-2010 03:47 PM

Clutch is off! I got the fixed pulley of the backside of the shaft, then heated up the shaft (back inch of it) red out and hit puller a few times and came right off.:-P