Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Yamaha gas cart starting problem (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=153838)

aceon3 06-10-2019 05:21 PM

Yamaha gas cart starting problem

I have 2013 Yamaha gas powered golf cart that when you press the gas pedal you hear a humming sound and the selinoid click but the cat doesn’t start if you hold the pedal down for 20-30 seconds it will start and run fine but if you stop it’s the same thing all over again

CP241 06-10-2019 05:33 PM

Re: Yamaha gas cart starting problem

Humming could be interpreted 2 ways. Either it's a relay/solenoid chattering (sounds like a buzz or a hum). This is generally caused by a weak battery.

Or it could be the starter/generator turning but the belt is too loose to grab and turn the motor.

Flip up the seat as it's doing it and see if theres anything spinning or moving.

aceon3 06-10-2019 06:25 PM

Nothing is turning I lifted the seat and looked

spcurtiss 06-11-2019 08:01 AM

Easy starting point would be tighten the starter belt.

CP241 06-11-2019 08:55 AM

If the starter/generator is not turning then you need to find out where the humming is coming from. I'm guessing either the solenoid or a relay somewhere.

Have you tried using a jumpstart box or hooking up jumper cables to it? If neither is really an option, I'd simply pull the battery out and have it tested before going too crazy trying to figure it out. most of the time a buzzing noise is just a relay chattering from low voltage.

Worth taking 5 minutes to clean the battery posts and cable terminals with a wire brush real good too. a lot of dirt tends to make its way between the cable and the post and can make bad contact and cause problems.

aceon3 06-11-2019 09:48 AM

It is a brand new battery and it test good would a loose starte belt cause the problem that I’m having

CP241 06-11-2019 09:56 AM

No, you said nothing is spinning under the seat. If the starter/generator belt were loose you would at least be seeing the starter/generator spinning. Can you lift the seat and confirm the starter is turning or not? It will be on the other end of the small thin belt.

Lochlin 06-11-2019 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceon3 (Post 1624180)
Nothing is turning I lifted the seat and looked

Just note that, oftentimes, the starter will be spinning even though the belt isn't. You really have to specifically examine the starter closely to see if it's moving or not. To an inexperienced eye, the starter can appear as if it's not moving when it is.

jkrash 06-14-2019 08:02 AM

I have a g9 that does the same thing minus the hum, I hear a click when I push the pedal and nothing, leave my foot on the pedal and it will take off after a few seconds, sometimes I push and release the pedal 5 to 10 times before it goes. If I rock the cart it pops and runs sometimes. I checked all electrical connections that I can find.

CP241 06-14-2019 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkrash (Post 1625543)
I have a g9 that does the same thing minus the hum, I hear a click when I push the pedal and nothing, leave my foot on the pedal and it will take off after a few seconds, sometimes I push and release the pedal 5 to 10 times before it goes. If I rock the cart it pops and runs sometimes. I checked all electrical connections that I can find.

Start simple, remove the battery terminals. Clean the posts with a wire brush. Clean the battery terminals where they connect to the battery posts with a wire brush as well so everything is shiny and new looking.

If that doesn't fix it then check the brushes in the starter/generator. It's a bit of a chore to remove it in a G9 but not too bad... but once you get it removed, replacing the brushes is a pretty easy and straight-forward task.