Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   new Alltrax controller install ? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=19743)

master66 07-08-2009 09:28 PM

new Alltrax controller install ?

Ok kids
So I got my new Alltrax 400 amp AXE 4844P controller today, I am installing it into my 99 EZ-go TXT series cart with a larger than stock motor.
So first question is the thing is huge and obviously does not use the same bolt pattern as the stock Curtis controller .So do I need to drill and tap new holes in my heat cink to match it up ?
Second is the stock Curtis has 4 pin style connectors and the Alltrax has the square version connectors, So do I replace the pin end with 4 square connectors or what ?
Third is that thing really supposed to fit under the stock controller cover with the new 4 gauge wires and the Soelinoid attatched to the front of the Alltrax, oh and the fuse also ? It seems like cramming 3 pounds of crap in a 2 pound sack to me but hey who knows .
The directions don't really give you any ideas about any of these issues, I thought it was going to be a bolt up operation but guess not, I mean I don't mind doing the work but don't want to screw it up as these bad boys aren't cheap "as everyone well knows".
Lastly I didn't get bad info and recieve the wrong controller for my application did I ? Thanks and sorry to ramble.:?

mikeshotrodshop 07-08-2009 10:17 PM

Re: new Alltrax controller install ?

Master66,

First thing - Yes, You will need to mount the controller by using self tapping screws or drill and tap the heat sink for the new bolt pattern.
Second thing - You should have 3- buss bars and 4- small terminals. The original connector for the 4- small terminals will have to be removed and you will have to add either stake-on female connectors or the solder type. Just follow the wiring schematic and you should be fine.
Third thing - Throw the cover in the trash....
Lastly - No it's correct :0)

Incase you need it - http://www.ddmotorsystems.com/EZGOSeries.pdf

Also, Have you programmed the controller already?

master66 07-08-2009 11:50 PM

Well I guess that sums it up but I would assume that I need to cover the controller and soelenoid with something don't I ? I mean that can't be healthy for it to be exposed like that is it ?

master66 07-09-2009 10:19 AM

I missed you're last question Mike, yes it is supposidly already programmed to the specs that I gave them but we will see .

pggroves 07-09-2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by master66 (Post 236244)
Well I guess that sums it up but I would assume that I need to cover the controller and soelenoid with something don't I ? I mean that can't be healthy for it to be exposed like that is it ?

The Alltrax are fully potted. Now I wouldn't point a pressure washer directly at it, but they are fairly impervious to the occasional splashing or dirt or whatever.

master66 07-09-2009 01:36 PM

Ah good point, I forgot that was one of their fancy selling features .So do I need to worry about the soelenoid at all ? I really only use my cart for campground and actually golf believe it or not, but usually not when it is raining "so that means I don't golf much because I live in Washington".

golferjw1 07-09-2009 06:15 PM

I hacked my controller cover about half off. This allowed me to keep the run/tow switch in the same location. That being said, I understand a cover is not needed for the alltrax nor solenoid. I have been running mine without one for a year through some pretty rough stuff. You should be fine.
One point, try to utilize the entire heat cink for your controller. You will enjoy the upgraded power and I really enjoy being able to program the controller when I want to change settings.

master66 07-13-2009 08:53 PM

So I got the new Alltrax installed and seems to run great, took it for a test drive at full throttle for about a 1/4 mile and back. But being the paranoid individual I am now after blowing two stock controllers, I put my hands on all the new 4 gauge cables to see if there was any warmth on any of them. Down on the back of the F&R switch two of the cables that go to the A post and the D post were just a tad warm but not hot by any means.
Now mind you that the original cable that went to the d post was the reason I blew the other controllers to start with because the terminal obviously came a little loose and heated up an melted the terminal right off. So do those posts typically get just a little warm or what because I seriously do not want to blow my new Alltrax .:?

hitmanharleyk 07-13-2009 09:19 PM

Good to see that you have it working, but according to this link it seems that you should have gotten the AXE 4844 instead of the 4844P to bolt up to your '99 TXT "foot print".

http://www.alltraxinc.com/files/Doc1...tion-Guide.pdf

roady89 07-13-2009 09:28 PM

Hot cables is a sure sign something isn't making a good connection. A little warm after a run should be fine, but not hot.