Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   charger popping 15amp fuse (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=50268)

pfinch 06-26-2011 09:52 PM

charger popping 15amp fuse

I have a 02 club car that keeps popping the 15a fuse on the charger. I have checked all the cables and all are tight and no corrosion is present. I have also replace the fuse in the power drive charger. I have checked all the wires in the back of the charge receptical and all appear to be good and tight. The batteries are 8 months old and I have had no previous problems.

shadowman 06-26-2011 10:19 PM

Re: charger popping 15amp fuse

it could be just a bad breaker in the charger.....it happens..................8)

gaminde 06-26-2011 10:44 PM

The fuse is on the secondary side (DC) This is a 15 amp fuse ?? on a charger that is rated for 15 amps this is cutting it close. I looked in the book could not find the rating for the fuse. If it were mine, I think I would try a 20 amp fuse (not slow blow) and keep an eye on the amps. If this blows then you have a problem get back to us. If not maybe a 15 amp slow blow !!

One other thing if the input (120 ) volts is low or you are using a long extension cord this could be the problem also.

rabbitreborn 06-27-2011 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfinch (Post 584482)
I have a 02 club car that keeps popping the 15a fuse on the charger. I have checked all the cables and all are tight and no corrosion is present. I have also replace the fuse in the power drive charger. I have checked all the wires in the back of the charge receptical and all appear to be good and tight. The batteries are 8 months old and I have had no previous problems.

If you are refering to the 15 amp mini breaker in the front of the charger (on the AC side), I have found that once they trip, I usually have to throw them away and replace them because they are weakened by that first trip and will constantly trip again. I usually replace mine with a 20 Amp breaker.

pfinch 06-27-2011 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabbitreborn (Post 584526)
If you are refering to the 15 amp mini breaker in the front of the charger (on the AC side), I have found that once they trip, I usually have to throw them away and replace them because they are weakened by that first trip and will constantly trip again. I usually replace mine with a 20 Amp breaker.

where do you get the 20a breaker? i have looked and all i can find is the 15a. I did replace it when it tripped the first time. After i installed the new one the charger ran for about 20 min before it tripped again. It's reading round 18-19 amps on the charger.

shadowman 06-27-2011 06:40 AM

ok if you had 2 of them tripping i would think you have another problem somewhere.............................8)

ForBruce 06-28-2011 07:32 AM

the primary fuse ( or circuit breaker )blows because the diode or diode bridge is shorted
causing the primary of the transformia to draw heavy amp

the secondary fuse is a fusable link usually about 30 amps to protect the charger from cable or golf cart short

DO NOT REPLACE WITH A LARGER AMP FUSE
unless you want to buy a new transformia as well

PRIMARY circuit breaker ( fuse ) check
disconnecting the diode bridge output first.... the terminals marked plus and minus
then turn on charge and see if it blows the 15 amp breaker.

you might have to do this separately if you have 2 individual diodes

gaminde 06-28-2011 10:24 AM

In my post I was talking about secondary fuse DC output not the Circuit Breaker this went from fuse to breaker