Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   36 Volt Charger Hums but doesnt charge (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=33979)

ATV-RVr 06-06-2010 06:57 PM

36 Volt Charger Hums but doesnt charge

I have a 92 CC 36 volt DS cart. I had a set of 6 volt AGM batteries (taken out of a RV I sold). I have installed 4 gauge cables on the cart. I noticed the cart not going as far on a charge. When I put the cart on the charger, the charger would click then hum and get warm. So I thought I was having battery issues. I put a good set of lead acid batteries in the cart (1 year old batteries) and when I plugged in the charger I suspected that the charger wasn't working. When plugged into the cart, the charger clicks, hums and gets warm. But the amp meter stays on the first mark 10 amps and never moves. I've been reading all of the threads I could find on 36 volt chargers. Here is of items I have checked...
1. Relay; I replaced but the new one clicks just like the old one did.
2. Amp Meter; I checked the meter using my 12 volt charger and putting the amp meter in series and It was working.
3. I removed the heat sink and checked the diodes... I was able to get a reading only in 1 direction. I cleaned the heat sink goop, then had to order some to re install the heat sink. :lhmo:
4. I checked the fuse with an Ohm meter and get 0.00. It is not open.
5. It has a 2" x 3" x 1" black box with an electronic circuit board... I do not have a clue how to test it.
6. It has a capaciter...I do not know how to test it.

What is the next step for testing/repairing the charger? :help:

Note; I have used a 12 volt charger and charged the lead acid batteries (2 at a time) to a total of 37.7 volts (for the 6 pack). When I plug in the 36 volt charger and put a volt meter across the pack the voltage doesn't change after several hours. My next test is to run the cart awhile and put the 36 volt charger back on (to see if my batteries are currently at a full charge).
Thanks for all of the advice I get from this forum
ATV-RVr

rexster 06-06-2010 11:15 PM

Re: 36 Volt Charger Hums but doesnt charge

Sounds like your charger is going out like mine did last week. You might want to check the capacitor in your charger or check the transformer. In my case, the transformer went out completely.

Rex

ATV-RVr 06-07-2010 09:21 AM

Thanks Rexter for the reply.
I found this PDF and I wanted to post this link http://www.lesterelectrical.com/serv...otingguide.pdf
It is a trouble shooting guide for the 36 volt Lester Charger. It is a very detailed guide. Hopefully it will help others. It has a procedure for testing the capacitor that I'm going to go try. I will post what I find out on my charger situation.

ATV-RVr

ATV-RVr 06-07-2010 04:22 PM

Update... I printed out the PDF file and did the capacitor test. It tested shorted. Once I removed the capacitor I realized how puffed out the sides were. I replaced it and when I hooked up the charger, The output amps jumped to 25 then after about 30 min the amps dropped to 15. Then I just checked it after 2 hours and the amps have dropped to 5. I will leave the charger plugged in over night then check it.

DOOmsman 06-07-2010 05:33 PM

Just in time to enjoy a cold fuzzy gold drink'
Isn't it great to fix something yourself.

rexster 06-07-2010 07:41 PM

Hate to tell you; it's doing the same thing as my Lestronic. Even as far as the amp drop. Turned out the transformer had gone bad. 431$ later everything works great.

Rex

ATV-RVr 06-08-2010 09:23 AM

After overnight charging the charger had shut down and the batteries showed full charge. I wrote down the number but can't find it...(will post it later). Today I will have the fun job of driving the cart around the hood. Then test the charger again. I will have to watch the weather...been raining here in Houston. I'm also working on a 05 CC DS project but that isn't on this post...