Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Precedent 3 position switch / accessories on, motor off (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=158746)

JTSimms 11-09-2019 12:56 AM

Precedent 3 position switch / accessories on, motor off

Hi. First post and third golf cart build. Prior two builds were TXT and now building an 08 i2 Precedent. Have any of you used a 3 position key switch on a precedent? I am looking to be able to have my accessories on and the motor off for safety. I do not want to be listening to the stereo in the cart and have one of my small kids accidentally hit the gas pedal and the cart move. I have heard about guys with the ability to disable the F&R switch for safety but have not seen how it is wired. Thank you in advance.

Mooncarter 11-09-2019 01:11 AM

Re: Precedent 3 position switch / accessories on, motor off

Where are you getting the 12v from now?

Mooncarter 11-09-2019 01:12 AM

:sign3: to BGW

JTSimms 11-09-2019 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooncarter (Post 1668249)
Where are you getting the 12v from now?

Voltage reducer tied to ignition.

JTSimms 11-09-2019 01:22 AM

Voltage reducer tied to ignition.

Mooncarter 11-09-2019 02:15 AM

OK. If that is a trigger wire you are talking about, I would connect it to the 2nd position of a 3 position switch.

1) All off.

2) Accessories on.

3) Everything on.

I don't have a Precedent, so unless there is something I don't know about I don't see why this won't work.

JTSimms 11-09-2019 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooncarter (Post 1668253)
OK. If that is a trigger wire you are talking about, I would connect it to the 2nd position of a 3 position switch.

1) All off.

2) Accessories on.

3) Everything on.

I don't have a Precedent, so unless there is something I don't know about I don't see why this won't work.

Thank you very much and thank you for the warm welcome. This is how I have done my previous two carts but a local builder told me you cannot use a 3 position switch on a precedent. It left me scratching my head as I do not think the OBC will know the difference.

USNavyHusker 12-01-2021 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTSimms (Post 1668280)
Thank you very much and thank you for the warm welcome. This is how I have done my previous two carts but a local builder told me you cannot use a 3 position switch on a precedent. It left me scratching my head as I do not think the OBC will know the difference.

I'm working on a similar set up and was also told that a 3 pos. switch won't work in a Precedent. Would you mind following up with any advice and whether or not it did work?

TIA!

CP241 12-01-2021 01:32 PM

Maybe one of the experienced gurus would be able to clarify, but a switch is a switch. I don’t understand why it wouldn’t work. I looked at the diagram in the stickies, and the key switch is a 2 pole switch. Input (48v) and output to controller.

Adding in a 3 position switch just adds a 3rd pole in there. I put (48v) accessory output (connect to your converter) and output (to controller). I don’t believe or understand how or why the controller would know or care if you put the DC/DC converter on a switch leg by itself. The controller still isn’t powered on until you click the 3rd position, in which case everything would be on just like if it were a 2 pole switch.

Maybe I’m missing something I’m just completely unaware of but I really don’t know why it wouldn’t work just fine.

Fairtax4me 12-01-2021 04:33 PM

I use 4 position universal key switches on a lot of my carts, and I don't use them for separate keyed reducer, but there's no reason it cant be wired for that to work. https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...HnZ0Q&usqp=CAU
Wire your reducer keyed input to the ACC post. Blue to B+ and Green to Run.