Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   First Time Buyer - need help (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=90976)

ctnj 03-04-2014 09:03 AM

First Time Buyer - need help

I've reached out to some local/regional golf cart businesses and determined 3k-3500 to be going rate for reconditioned golf cart. Everything I'm looking at is 4 seater with head/tail lights. How would I differentiate the various Club Car types (Precedent, some acronyms, etc). I'd like to stay under 3k. I'm not sure what impact age has on the price. Purchasing to use around n'hood - hilly - going to pool, between houses (big lots), maybe in our yard to pick up stuff after storms.

What questions am I not asking based on info. collected below? Does type of battery matter (trojan v. other). What would be red flags when I'm looking at a cart? Is 48v standard?

I have 4 Club Cars I'm emailing with people about on Craigslist -
- 1999 with new brakes, lift, new wheels, new nobbie tires, new seat, new battery ($2600)
- 2001 with new battery, good tires, small rip in seat corner ($2300)
- 2007 Precedent, new Trojan batteries, new rear seat ($2700)
- 2010 Precedents that someone is posting who indicates they are reconditioned by a Club Car dealer and sold on side ($2900) year old battery, new seat, new lights, new body, chrome wheel covers.
Thank you for any help!!

gumpbuck 03-04-2014 09:34 AM

Re: First Time Buyer - need help

OK, here's a couple of suggestions IMO.
1) 48V will give you more range. Also better for re-sale. 36V carts seem to stay for sale longer.
2) 6 batts instead of 4. Other guys here can chime in on why, (I think for range also.)
3) For easier/better upgrades, I've read that a DS Series cart is a better choice. (check out the Stickys for instruction on how to tell if the cart is a Series, (see about F&R switch.)
4) Other than age, I would stick to 2002 and newer. Just my feelings about it.
5) I like the look of the Precedent, but again, I've read plenty of posts on how the DS is better for upgrades. Others can chime in on that.
6) Trojan seems to be the gold standard. I have 2011 T875s. They were not well maintained when I bought my cart. But it seems like I have been able to nurse them back to health and I have now had 2 good years of performance so far.
7) Take a volt meter with you when you go to see them. Check the batt pack level to see if they read the correct level. Would also do a load test on them. Be polite in asking the owner for this. See other posts on this site for correct steps in doing the test.

Best wishes on your search! I'm on my first cart, but am already addicted and want to start building another......

Mayor of G Vegas 03-04-2014 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctnj (Post 993811)
I've reached out to some local/regional golf cart businesses and determined 3k-3500 to be going rate for reconditioned golf cart. Everything I'm looking at is 4 seater with head/tail lights. How would I differentiate the various Club Car types (Precedent, some acronyms, etc). I'd like to stay under 3k. I'm not sure what impact age has on the price. Purchasing to use around n'hood - hilly - going to pool, between houses (big lots), maybe in our yard to pick up stuff after storms.

What questions am I not asking based on info. collected below? Does type of battery matter (trojan v. other). What would be red flags when I'm looking at a cart? Is 48v standard?

I have 4 Club Cars I'm emailing with people about on Craigslist -
- 1999 with new brakes, lift, new wheels, new nobbie tires, new seat, new battery ($2600)
- 2001 with new battery, good tires, small rip in seat corner ($2300)
- 2007 Precedent, new Trojan batteries, new rear seat ($2700)
- 2010 Precedents that someone is posting who indicates they are reconditioned by a Club Car dealer and sold on side ($2900) year old battery, new seat, new lights, new body, chrome wheel covers.
Thank you for any help!!

Where are you located ? There are several cart places around me (Greenville , SC ) selling nice late model reconditioned carts with backseat kits for the 2250-2450 range . Yamaha's , EZ-GO's and Club Cars - Mayor

ctnj 03-04-2014 10:23 AM

Left one other thing off - The 2010 Precedents also have increased speed- 15-17mph.

Thanks for your info!!!

In Raleigh.

Mayor of G Vegas 03-04-2014 10:35 AM

Check down here we are just down the road a few hours - Mayor

gumpbuck 03-04-2014 10:50 AM

The 1999 seems attractive because of all the options it already has. Just wish it was newer. But for many, that's not that big a deal.

As for the speed. 15 to 17 MPH is not as fast as you think. I think you will find that in the end, you will want to upgrade the motor and controller for more speed and torque.
It seems that most people end up looking for that.

My cart does 22.5 mph on flat ground and has enough torque to climb anything I have come across so far. It already had the upgrade, but it looks like a 700 amp motor and controller combination. I think most people go for something in the 500 amp range.

Anyway, that's a topic for a post after you bring home your new cart.... ;-)

Northcap 03-04-2014 12:28 PM

If you do the renovation work yourself, you should be able to find a basic late model precedent just out of a lease program for 2300-2600. I would buy through a dealer and would buy a reconditioned cart. One of the site sponsors offers these carts and is reasonably near you. I would go this route as the add ons are usually of the bolt on variety, and it is a good way to learn how to maintain your cart.

Certain late model precedents offer unique issues with motor/controller upgrades. There are a ton of threads on this issue. I would buy a 6 by 8 volt battery cart.

Have fun.

ctnj 03-04-2014 02:13 PM

Any way you can point out the sponsor to me?

jakesnake27 03-04-2014 03:18 PM

Any CC is going to be a great cart, but stay away from the 4-12v setups! This is CCs one screw-up. They were produced from 2006-2008 I believe, both DS and Precedents. You will have shortened range with the 12v batts compared to the 8v.

Club Car has an IQ sepex system which will get you close to 20 mph all stock. That is really as fast you will go without motor/controller upgrades. Series and IQ carts are easy to upgrade, however the new Excel system is not upgradable and must be converted to IQ in order to upgrade. It's not that hard I've heard, just swapping out a $200 plug and play harness...

Good luck with your search and welcome to BGW! :thumbup:

bokeasmowl 03-04-2014 03:31 PM

Are you set on an electric cart? There's a place near Goldsboro that has 2010 Yamaha g29's that are gas for like $2300. I live in Smithfield, if I can help you, pm me and let me know what you're looking at and I can give you an educated opinion on it.