Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Extreme DC! (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Voltage and current meter (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=147164)

Winston Ellis 10-20-2018 06:56 AM

Voltage and current meter

Does anyone have a voltage and current meter on their cart? I’m looking for some ideas for my DS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveTM 10-20-2018 08:12 AM

Re: Voltage and current meter

I installed one of ScottyB's Digital Battery Meters. This just shows voltage, but I purchased one that toggles between my cart batteries and my separate 12V accessory battery. It works great!

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html

dundeebarnbuggy 10-20-2018 08:55 AM

Got a Blue Sea meter on mine, model 8248. Volts, amps or you can even set it to switch back and forth between the 2. Been perfect and very accurate.

ThreeCW 10-20-2018 12:22 PM

Double posted ... forgot to add the photos !! See the next post.

ThreeCW 10-20-2018 12:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I followed DundeeBarnBuggy's lead and installed a Blue Sea Amp and Volt Meter. A few photos are attached for your reference.

I sure like having the option of the ammeter ... it comes in handy while I am "gently" breaking in my new batteries (trying to keep under 100 amps) ... not always easy when driving a heavy cart and going up a hill.

There was another thread on BGW in the past year that also was about the installation of a combined amp and volt meter that looked pretty slick and was priced lower than this Blue Sea version ... I searched pretty deep but could not find it.

Does anyone else remember this thread / can locate it?

Winston Ellis 10-22-2018 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeCW (Post 1551872)
I followed DundeeBarnBuggy's lead and installed a Blue Sea Amp and Volt Meter. A few photos are attached for your reference.

I sure like having the option of the ammeter ... it comes in handy while I am "gently" breaking in my new batteries (trying to keep under 100 amps) ... not always easy when driving a heavy cart and going up a hill.

There was another thread on BGW in the past year that also was about the installation of a combined amp and volt meter that looked pretty slick and was priced lower than this Blue Sea version ... I searched pretty deep but could not find it.

Does anyone else remember this thread / can locate it?

Did you use a shunt for the current side?

ThreeCW 10-22-2018 05:27 PM

Yes a shunt was used ... the first picture in my post above is the 500 amp shunt before it was installed. The shunt is installed between the battery pack negative post and the controller B-. The voltage drop measured across the shunt is proportional to the amperage flowing through the cable. I believe that a 1 mV drop across the shunt equals 1 amp of current (i.e. 150 mv shunt drop = 150 amps into the controller).

Winston Ellis 10-22-2018 05:33 PM

Great, that a pricey little meter though.

Winston Ellis 10-22-2018 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeCW (Post 1552592)
Yes a shunt was used ... the first picture in my post above is the 500 amp shunt before it was installed. The shunt is installed between the battery pack negative post and the controller B-. The voltage drop measured across the shunt is proportional to the amperage flowing through the cable. I believe that a 1 mV drop across the shunt equals 1 amp of current (i.e. 150 mv shunt drop = 150 amps into the controller).

What type of current do you see with a lid uphill?

Winston Ellis 10-22-2018 09:49 PM

The should say a load uphill