Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   White Smoke (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=82346)

branman1971 06-30-2013 09:48 PM

White Smoke

I got this 1990 Marathon running pretty good today but she is pumping out so much white smoke after she warms up that it gags me out. I mixed 2stroke into the fuel at 1oz to 1gallon of gas and drained the oil tank but there might still be some oil being injected on top of my premixed. But that smoke should be blue right? It doesnt seem to have much power going up hills and such, but it seems to run better when I reach back and play with the linkage from the governor to the carborator. Any pointers? Thank you...

pachanga90 06-30-2013 11:35 PM

Re: White Smoke

Your mix is correct.Is the oil made for Pre-Mix? Alot of the oils now are made for injection and won't mix properly.Make sure the oil-injection is unhooked. Possibly the muffler is loaded with oil and needs to be BBQ'd.I always ran my 2-strokes at 1-1/2oz/gal since I ran them hard and never had any smoke,even on start-up.If its' running good,take it out for a long run at decent speed without hills if possible and try to cook the exhaust a bit,see if it clears up.Hope this helps.:thumbup:

Dave Box 07-01-2013 08:44 AM

From what I understand in your question you have drained the oil reservoir but left the line to the inlet manifold connected. This is not correct as at some stage the engine will start to draw air from that line. You would be better to remove the banjo bolt and replace it with a short 6 mm bolt (remember this Japanese engine is metric) or to cut the oil line and cap it with a shot of mastic and a bolt.

It would also be a good idea to clean your muffler. This can be done by lighting a fire and when it is ablaze placing the muffler on top. After some 30 minutes flames will shoot out of each end and 30 minutes after that the muffler is done. Wait for it to cool and gently tap out any ash that remains.

With regard to the governor, most people simply disconnect the thing and resolve any issues. Of course if your cart is driven by small children, aged parents or drunken friends then you might take that advice with a pinch of salt.

Dave

branman1971 07-03-2013 04:07 PM

Thanks Dave...I disconnected the oil line and capped the inlet on the intake. Turns out it was still pumping oil lol. Then I removed the muffler and cooked it over a fire. Flames were shooting out of both ends. I then started up the cart briefly with open header to see if the cart smoked without the muffler. It didnt but I didnt let it get real hot either. I installed the muffler and the dang thing is still smoking, but maybe not as bad as yesterday. The smoke is white with maybe a little blue in it, but it doesnt smell like a 2stroke dirt bike exhaust, which I kinda like the smell of. This smell is like someone is burning plastic or something like that...Very unpleasant. Maybe I didnt cook it long enough?

branman1971 07-03-2013 05:28 PM

Actually I took the cart out and got her hot and the smoke cleared up. I was actually scared when i didnt see smoke cause I cannot understand how these carts can run on 128:1 fuel mix ratio. All my other toys are 50:1, and such. Thanks guys!