Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   charger is draining batteries (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=34316)

clatimer 06-14-2010 08:46 PM

charger is draining batteries

2001 CC ds. New batteries, charged about 3 times, now I plug charger in and apparently drains batteries as they are dead when I return. Individually charged the batteries and drove cart. Plugged in, charger cuts in but on my return charger off and batteries are dead

TahoeDawgZ71 06-14-2010 08:51 PM

Re: charger is draining batteries

Quote:

Originally Posted by clatimer (Post 417486)
2001 CC ds. New batteries, charged about 3 times, now I plug charger in and apparently drains batteries as they are dead when I return. Individually charged the batteries and drove cart. Plugged in, charger cuts in but on my return charger off and batteries are dead

Hands up in the air on this one... Never heard of such a thing in my entire life. Maybe someone will come along with an answer.

scottyb 06-14-2010 09:17 PM

Do you have a DVM? Can we get a pack reading before and during charging? Are you sure your charge wires are not reversed polarity? WTH !? :mrgreen:

rabbitreborn 06-14-2010 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 (Post 417491)
Hands up in the air on this one... Never heard of such a thing in my entire life. Maybe someone will come along with an answer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 417513)
Do you have a DVM? Can we get a pack reading before and during charging? Are you sure your charge wires are not reversed polarity? WTH !? :mrgreen:

I'm with you 2..... I've seen a lot of strange things in my life of working on Golf Cars, but unless the charger is somehow reversing polarity, I have no idea what would cause this to be happening.

Fishing Dude 06-15-2010 10:13 AM

Is the charger getting power? Or does it have output power?

TahoeDawgZ71 06-15-2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabbitreborn (Post 417552)
I'm with you 2..... I've seen a lot of strange things in my life of working on Golf Cars, but unless the charger is somehow reversing polarity, I have no idea what would cause this to be happening.

I had the same thought but I wouldn't think the charger would turn on if it didn't get the proper voltage within the proper polarity. But I honestly don't know. I've never tried it.

scottyb 06-15-2010 03:44 PM

If polarity is reversed...Fuses should go up in smoke :lhmo:

scubabud 06-15-2010 06:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

After reading what everyone else states above my suggestion is to try someone else's charger... if it works you found your problem... if it doesn't... you have a wiring issue it seems. Check your battery wiring against the picture attached... I might do the check on the wiring first... And I should have added... what does dead mean... what is the voltage of your batteries when you state they are dead?

e-z-go1988 06-15-2010 08:09 PM

Quote:

Inspect the charger-to-cart plug-in power connector. There may be either internal damage to the cart connector or the plug from the charger. Maybe when the plug is inserted it is not getting good contact and overheats after a while shorting some wires/pin together. When they cool the short is removed?
8)

roady89 06-16-2010 08:27 PM

A Charger WILL suck the life out of your batteries if your not careful. If your 120ac power goes out or you have the charger plugged into a powerstrip and it trips and doesn't come back on and the charger relay tries to come back on and activates your batts will die a quick death. NEVER leave one hooked up thinking you can go away on a ultra long vacation for a few months. Your better off with a trickle charger or having someone check on it for you or even using it while your gone.