Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   high speed gears install question (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=82964)

sportcoupe 07-16-2013 04:00 AM

high speed gears install question

Do I have to pull the motor and input shaft to install high speed gears in a txt cart? I can't remember if there's room to remove the intermittent gear shaft with input shaft still in.

rib33024 07-16-2013 04:38 AM

Re: high speed gears install question

here's some info

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...tml#post658807

sportcoupe 07-16-2013 05:39 AM

That link has nice pictures. I thought I've saw that before but my old age memory isn't what it used to be.

------------------

Another high speed gears question:

Is the torque loss of running 6:1 gears and stock tires equal to 12.44 gears and 26" tires?

Is my math correct?

JohnnieB 07-16-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportcoupe (Post 907932)
Another high speed gears question:

Is the torque loss of running 6:1 gears and stock tires equal to 12.44 gears and 26" tires?

Is my math correct?

You just flunked your math exam. :lol:

Halving the gear ratio would be the same as doubling the tire height.

Mathematically, 18" (stock) tires with 6:1 and 37" tires with 12.44:1 (stock) gears would roughly have the same torque and speed.

FWIW: 26" tires with stock gears roughly equates to stock tires with 8:1 gears.

sportcoupe 07-16-2013 11:27 AM

I used circumference and the speed and ratio excel file to get 26" tire size. Maybe that's where I went wrong? :shock: :mrgreen:

Probably not but that's my excuse.

Thanks Johnnie

TerryH 07-16-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportcoupe (Post 908045)
I used circumference and the speed and ratio excel file to get 26" tire size. Maybe that's where I went wrong? :shock: :mrgreen:

Thanks Johnnie

If you look thru my thread that was posted above you'll see that there are other factors at play such as the higher gear causing the motor to pull more amps so there is more to think about than just the mathematics of the gear ratios and tire heights.

sportcoupe 07-16-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerryH (Post 908061)
If you look thru my thread that was posted above you'll see that there are other factors at play such as the higher gear causing the motor to pull more amps so there is more to think about than just the mathematics of the gear ratios and tire heights.

I understand that. I know what the same controller, stock motor and 26" tires pulls like (torque), I was trying to get an idea on how 6:1 gears will feel since I don't have them installed yet or my batteries either. In other words I'm getting excited, the impatient one I am. :lhmo:

I'm using the following:
-DCX500PDS Alltrax
-48v
-stock PDS motor (for now)
-2 gauge cables
-6:1 hs gears
-18" tires (or something close)
-Trojan T-890 batteries (new)

If torque is unacceptable or motor temps skyrocket then PQ or D&D will be getting a call.

scottyb 07-16-2013 05:14 PM

I'm suspecting the little 2.5 hp stock motor is going to cry uncle under the increased work load.... curious to see what you find. :thumbup:

PS
never 2 many carts

JohnnieB 07-16-2013 09:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sportcoupe (Post 908045)

Thanks Johnnie

FWIW: The attached zipped file is the spreadsheet I use.
It is in Quatttro Pro, but Excel should open it.

sportcoupe 07-21-2013 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportcoupe (Post 907925)
Do I have to pull the motor and input shaft to install high speed gears in a txt cart? I can't remember if there's room to remove the intermediate gear with input shaft still in.

A couple follow ups to my original question as a result of my gear change yesterday.

Yes you must remove motor to install a set of gears in an ezgo. This is because the motor covers the intermediate gear (middle gear) bearing and dust seal.

The input shaft (upper gear) that the motor attaches to does not need to come out either.

You can leave the rear end in the golf cart as well, it's just a little harder to work on the intermediate shaft.