Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Club Car wont move, dead solenoid? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=8112)

magacrib 09-08-2008 02:18 PM

Club Car wont move, dead solenoid?

Labor Day weekend at my property away from home I put about 15 miles on during the 3 day weekend. Was verypleased once again with cart. Put on charger in Garage and when I returned one week later it would not move.
When I push the pedal cart feels as if it wants to move forward for a split second then nothing. Reverse buzzer still sounds.
Earlier this summer I did replace cables and cleaned batts very well. They are getting older but all were getting over 8volts. closer to 9 fully charged. like I said one week before i was running awsome. Any Direction in help would be apreciated.....

roady89 09-08-2008 08:04 PM

Re: Club Car wont move, dead solenoid?

If it worked one weekend and not the next more than likely you have a bad connection somewhere. If its been more than a month since you last checked your cables the chances are even greater you have a bad one. Check all your connections REAL GOOD. If it moves for a second the solenoid is activating.

rusty 09-08-2008 09:00 PM

Welcome to the forum magacrib..................

magacrib 09-09-2008 12:03 PM

Thanks i will Check it out. I did see some corosine pretty good on one terminal. the watter leaks up right around the batt post. they are 10 yrs. old.
Are Trojen batts. the only replacement? Sams has some 8V batts that are much more affordable....

phasetim 09-09-2008 12:53 PM

10 years old is OLD. Trojan is the BEST replacement, not the only replacement. I would avoid sam's batteries like the plague. They are cheaper, but you will probably replace them after 2 years. A good quality battery should last you around 5 or so.

I tell most people to stick with Trojan, or Exide. I haven't had personal experience with Deka, or US battery, but I hear good things about them as well.

The solenoid will do the symptom you mentioned, the precharge resistor will charge the controller up for one short bump, then stop. If you leave the car sitting for a few minutes it should try that again. If your current batteries are 10 years old, I would go ahead and buy a solenoid too. Weak voltage hurts solenoids.

SP-Electronics 09-09-2008 02:41 PM

I had the same problem with my Melex, so I tested voltage, and it seemed fine, until I tested it under LOAD (as I pressed the pedal), and noticed it dropped out. I then tested each battery individually while pressing the pedal, and found ONE bad battery in the chain. It showed about 6.2v just sitting, but as soon as the pedal was pressed it dropped out to nothing. I bypassed it just to make sure that was the only problem, and sure enough, the cart moved just fine without that battery connected. Sure, 30v sucks, but at least the cart moved...

I would suggest testing the batteries in yours, and see if you have any bad ones. As everyone said, 10 years is OLD, so it's probably time to replace them, but you might be able to find a use for the few that still seem ok. Hate to WASTE them. lol

magacrib 09-09-2008 02:51 PM

Thanks my man I will try that out aswell.....

Swartz 09-09-2008 07:56 PM

I am still a rookie at this but it sounds like a battery issue to me. My aunt had an ez go that did the same thing with 4 year old Trojan batteries. Push the accelerator and the cart would jump but not go any further.

I am partial to Crowne batteries. Personal opinion.

JimThorne 09-29-2008 04:01 PM

:help::help::help:;-);-);-);-):help:
Quote:

Originally Posted by magacrib (Post 92996)
Labor Day weekend at my property away from home I put about 15 miles on during the 3 day weekend. Was verypleased once again with cart. Put on charger in Garage and when I returned one week later it would not move.
When I push the pedal cart feels as if it wants to move forward for a split second then nothing. Reverse buzzer still sounds.
Earlier this summer I did replace cables and cleaned batts very well. They are getting older but all were getting over 8volts. closer to 9 fully charged. like I said one week before i was running awsome. Any Direction in help would be apreciated.....

shadowman 09-29-2008 06:42 PM

if your getting close to 9 volts per battery and they hold under load i wouldn,t touch them i have 2 sets of them running around camp both sets over 12 years old and still going strong..........try jumping the large post on solenoid see if cart runs..............how is it charging? ok.......charger shutting off ? check your cable connections and try jumping solenoid but i think at this point your batts are ok..............i agree stay away from sams club batteries you will buy new sets every 2 years if you get 2 years out of them and beleive it or not a lot of people don,t get 2 years.....................8)