Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   when should charger shut down (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=42718)

9seclx 01-02-2011 07:25 PM

when should charger shut down

My cart was not charging so I brought charger to a shop and they tested and said it was running fine. So I reset the computer thanks tom the good direction of BGW and now its charging . My Question is what voltage should it shut off at I charged for a couple of hours yesterday and tested voltage and it was 53.3 should it get this high ? Its a 95 ds 48 volt. I unplugged it last night checked voltage this morning and it was 47 volts and charger still runs when plugged back in . Thanks for any help given

jlmurphy 01-02-2011 07:36 PM

Re: when should charger shut down

If the cart has not been charging proper it may take 12 to 14 hours of charge. After the charge is complete wait 12 hours to check bat Voltage. Charging voltage is a lot higher and when the charger shuts off it will settle after12 hours.

scottyb 01-02-2011 07:38 PM

That charger will go to a minimum of 58.3 and I have seen a few go to 63v before shutting off.... If your overnight loss is from 53 to 47 you may have a battery issue 8)

OLD MEC 01-03-2011 11:10 AM

You might want to check on DrBob forum site for info on how OBC controls charger functions?
If you dont allow charger to shut off on its own you will get the OBC out of normal step and then charger has to run much longer to go through all the OBC functions ( which are quite complex ) to get system working correctly?
By the way what color is battery dash light as you may have one of the old style 1995-1999 about OBC's that did give problems?

9seclx 01-03-2011 03:25 PM

thanks for the reply's.The light on the dash is Red What does that mean?Also its cold hear only in the high 20 's low 30's so im not sure if that would cause charger to run longer . And its in the garage if that makes any difference

OLD MEC 01-03-2011 04:14 PM

As I remember on 1995 48 volt carts that is original indicator light so you may still have original OBC, as replacements OBC's came with different color lights. You are one of the lucky ones MAYBE?? like myself as I still have orginal oBC in my 1996 as well.
Yes cold temps do slow down charge rate but hardly enough to make for long periods of extra charging? If your original test showed 53.3 was taken at least one hour AFTER REMOVING CHARGER ( IF TAKEN RIGHT AFTER UNHOOKING CHARGER WILL SHOW FALSE HIGH READINGS ) and then in AM showed only 47 volts you either have a load ( something pulling juice ) on batterys or one or more defective batterys?

9seclx 01-03-2011 04:41 PM

voltage was checked right after removing charger
Did not know I should have waited

GLEEMO 01-03-2011 04:57 PM

Make sure each cell has at least 1/2" of DISTILLED water over them , before starting charge.
Yes being cold will make it charge longer, but it should still charge to the point where charger shuts off before 16 hours.
Wait a couple of hours after charger has completed its cycle and gone to 0 amps, and then check.
Check each battery separately then check all together .
Post all results here !

scottyb 01-03-2011 05:01 PM

The charger will take the pack voltage up high like 58 or 63v and then after 12 hours you can see how much of that your pack is able to hold... any readings taken before that 12 hours will likely read falsely high. Don't believe me? Try it and read them again at 12 hours after the end of charge..... on a 48v pack you should have 50.9 volts 12 hours after the charge has ended

GLEEMO 01-03-2011 05:48 PM

he is correct
it should be linger than 2 hours for deep cycle batteries , 5-8 hours if passable.

Sorry for the misinformation :banghead: #$%^&*()_