Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Yamaha G29/YDR/Drive Club thread (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=95261)

Spudgunman 06-17-2014 12:50 PM

Yamaha G29/YDR/Drive Club thread

I am finding that information specific to the new generation of Yamaha carts is far and few between? from the 2007 to the EFI (fuel injected) new version - anyway started this thread to consolidate information. As a new owner of a G29 will also document information here for anyone else.

The 2007 and up carts are called YDR as a designation, they also share the name "Drive" (like saying ford focus) so a 'YDR Drive', specifically calls out the golf Cart. The Term G29 comes from that this is the 29th generation of the yamaha golf cart, this is more of a industry term. so officially add on parts for the YDRx are what will fit but could also be called G29 parts.

This is specifically in the gas area, but topics are universal for a lot of areas, the gas are obviously more complicated on the "factory default level" but only the 'energy plant' is specific to gas everything else is universal (mostly, remember that gassers run on 12v and electric dont)

The YDR gas operates in a few sub generations as well which is why the G29 isnt clarifying to what you have. the YDRx where X is the code for the version you have. YDRA is gas YDRE is electric. Another Example is that new 2015 YDR carts have electronic fuel injected (EFI) engines and are quite different in respect to no carb, added engine computer etc.. however they otherwise are the same general concept of operations. (again the specific is the energy plant)

some cross links I found helpfull..

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g29-drive.html (note that yamaha and jakes make spicific kits for lifting YDR)

http://www.plowmanscarts.com/parts_yamaha_drive.html

Spudgunman 06-17-2014 12:53 PM

Re: Yamaha G29/YDR/Drive Club thread

one tip I have is that if your cart is from a fleet used or simply havent done this.

pull the plastic rivets out of the floor mat and take care to remove it - specially around the break and gas (the mat will rip easy)

once removed simply lift out the access panel and you will likely see a lot of trash and mud - clean all this out. then spray some silicone lubricant or wd-40 to eliminate water in this area on the mechanical parts.

while your down here examine the area for any damage or wear.

Also take note of the switches you can use or modify to stop the reverse beep, add light's etc.

Olman 06-17-2014 12:56 PM

Spudgun--gas, electric, or both?

Spudgunman 06-17-2014 12:58 PM

a specific to this thread governor adjustment is done via the rear inspection panel (the yamaha logo you see looking at the rear of the cart) pull out the plastic rivets and lift up/ snap out the cover. the throttle/governor linkage is right in front of you, a 10mm bolt tightened in about 1 inch will give you about 15mph with factory everything, the cart is rated at 15MPH top speed FYI. (per the aspirated units, not tested with EFI, and obviously not for a electric speed controller)

the use of a ratcheting wrench will be ideal for the adjustment. If you don't want to keep this adjustment permanent you can play with the mechanism to understand how it works and use a simple zip tie to "temporary bypass" the restriction.

if you have a ratcheting wrench you can make the adjustments easily without removing the access cover. Also if you have a rear seat you need to remove it to remove the inspection/access cover.

Spudgunman 06-17-2014 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olman (Post 1041802)
Spudgun--gas, electric, or both?

well since I am a owner of a gasser, I started this in the gas area. ideally this would be in a Yamaha brand section but that didnt exist, So sadly here it sits because well "gas is better" :wink:

but unless you look up the skirt we wont know that you keep volts there! :lol:

I say all are welcome, most of the stuff is universal anyway (besides the obvious)

Spudgunman 06-17-2014 01:27 PM

These units use slap oiling - you can google it.

Basically it means that you cant run the engine upside down or on crazy inclines for extended periods with out damage. Also if you overfill the oil pan your in big trouble.

they use 1qrt of 10w30
the drain bolt is standard socket (go figure eh)
the fill stick has a MIN and MAX - this means oil needs to be in that range not meaning it NEEDS to be at MAX just somewhere in the upper 2/3rds is where I keep mine for example.

tire pressure from factory is 16PSI
the plug is BPR2ES gapping 0.7 ˜ 0.8 mm (0.028 ˜ 0.031 in.)
the fuel filter is ..well anything you want that looks like yours.
the real axle uses Yamalube Friction Modified Shaft Drive
Gear Oil / 1750 mL (1.85 quarts total) if you want to replace it remove the rear "well" that the golf bags sit in. 8mm Allen wrench will pull the upper plug.

they hold just shy of 6 gallons, yamaha recommends adding stabilizer because you wont use gas that fast.

SandbaggerYDRA 06-17-2014 07:00 PM

It's nice to have a G29 "club" like the G1, G8, G9 and G22 guys have...

robertakamagoo 06-17-2014 07:14 PM

I drive a 2007 gas and mine boss aka wife drives a 2009 ele. Two difrent rides.

joshualmarley 06-17-2014 11:04 PM

Well I have a 2012 bought from a fleet locally. So far I have...

Windshield and club protector ( I am one of the few who actually use it for golf)
10" wheels and tires
Added the PTV code
Added the deluxe light kit with signals and horn from Yamaha ( huge project)
Added a battery meter, voltage reducer, glove box led lights, 12v power port and dual USB charging ports
Added rear view mirror

Just today I ordered an under seat storage tray and iphone mount and ran power to the top for a iPad mount for GPS on the course as well as Trojan Ranger batteries (my t-875's are still good but I am using those in a cc ds build)

Hope I can contribute to the thread!

Josh

SandbaggerYDRA 06-18-2014 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshualmarley (Post 1042013)
Well I have a 2012 bought from a fleet locally. So far I have...

Windshield and club protector ( I am one of the few who actually use it for golf)
10" wheels and tires
Added the PTV code
Added the deluxe light kit with signals and horn from Yamaha ( huge project)
Added a battery meter, voltage reducer, glove box led lights, 12v power port and dual USB charging ports
Added rear view mirror

Just today I ordered an under seat storage tray and iphone mount and ran power to the top for a iPad mount for GPS on the course as well as Trojan Ranger batteries (my t-875's are still good but I am using those in a cc ds build)

Hope I can contribute to the thread!

Josh

This is primarily a gas-powered sub board, so the majority of posts will be gas-centric. But some areas will cross over equally between gas and electric.

Olman 06-18-2014 09:21 AM

Josh----Start an electric G29/Drive club. I'll come with ya.:mrgreen:

cgtech 06-18-2014 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spudgunman (Post 1041810)
These units use slap oiling - you can google it.

Basically it means that you cant run the engine upside down or on crazy inclines for extended periods with out damage. Also if you overfill the oil pan your in big trouble.

they use 1qrt of 10w30
the drain bolt is standard socket (go figure eh)
the fill stick has a MIN and MAX - this means oil needs to be in that range not meaning it NEEDS to be at MAX just somewhere in the upper 2/3rds is where I keep mine for example.

The only engine that can tolerate being run upside down is a 2 cycle (think hedge trimmer or chainsaw). Some lift kits put the engine at too steep an angle, hindering oiling. The engine takes exactaly one quart of oil, which will NOT put the dipstick at the full mark (if you find your dipstick at the full mark, your oil is contaminated with unburnt fuel, and should be changed). I suggest, at your next oil change, put in one qt oil, pull dipstick, and use a punch to mark the true "full" level as indicated on the dipstick. Also all 4 cycle yamahas use a drain plug with a 17mm head, NOT SAE.

Spudgunman 06-18-2014 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgtech (Post 1042148)
Also all 4 cycle yamahas use a drain plug with a 17mm head, NOT SAE.

After looking at another cart I have here I see the cart I chose to build up, has a aftermarket plug.. put the OEM looking 17mm plug into my cart! thanks.

Spudgunman 06-19-2014 01:37 AM

Good thread around clutches in these carts
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...=Clutch+grease

joshualmarley 06-19-2014 11:55 AM

I think we might be the only ones interested! I was thinking of waiting a bit before upgrading my controller and motor, but when I do I will have to post so maybe I will start one then. I just want to say thank you to everyone who contributes to this forum, you guys are so helpful and save us from the world of misinformation!

THANKS!

Josh

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olman (Post 1042114)
Josh----Start an electric G29/Drive club. I'll come with ya.:mrgreen:

PESCADO 06-26-2014 04:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, looks like I'm now a member of this band.

Spudgunman 06-27-2014 02:26 AM

The longest member, ha.

dbmachine 06-27-2014 07:35 AM

Ha ha he said "longest member"

joshualmarley 06-27-2014 07:27 PM

Oh how some things amuse me....

Josh

BisonGolf 06-30-2014 12:23 AM

I am going to change oil in my 2011 cart. Can I use Synthetic? Mobil 1 or Amzoil??

Spudgunman 06-30-2014 12:54 AM

I use mobile1 synthetic personally, and yamalube on the axel.

robertakamagoo 06-30-2014 08:59 AM

I just changed mine over to Mobile 1.

Olman 06-30-2014 09:56 AM

Believe it or not, I put 12,000 hours (that's equal to 720,000 miles on a car at 60 miles per hour) on a 25 hp Kohler Vtwin using Mobil 1. I never had to open the engine up. Best oil there is period!!

PESCADO 06-30-2014 06:52 PM

I used Royal Purple this time.

BisonGolf 07-01-2014 10:36 AM

WOW! Great to know. I'll be changing mine this weekend. Finally figured oput why it is running like crap. The exhaust is broken going into the muffler. They are checking to see if it is covered under warranty. Not much back pressure. Misses. Looking into clutch work next.

rheller 07-01-2014 05:48 PM

So after a month with Plowmans extreme kit in my g29, My thoughts are wow. It started off good, 28mph right off the bat and my top speed has continued to grow since then. Runs extremely smooth and way more power from a 11.5hp motor than I could ever have imagined. He truly is the go to guy when it comes to yamahas

LimitedEdition 08-09-2014 04:43 PM

I bought a used 2011 YDRA from a local dealer, and I am a first time owner. I have a need to know how things work, with anything I own, so this site has been a great help. I like to have a starting point on any piece of equipment I have so I have been going over this cart from Tip to Tail. To start with I decided to change the engine oil and the transaxle lube also. As recommended here I am using Mobil 1 10w-30 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil in the engine. In the transaxle the owner’s manual suggests Yamalube, but if not available you can use 1.75 quarts if 80W-90 Gear Oil and .10 quarts of API GL-5 Limited Slip Additive. I used 56 oz of Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS 75W-90and 3.2 oz of Trans-X Posi-Trac Additive #402508. One thing I did learn on a cart with a 6” lift was to be able to drain the engine oil completely and fill the transaxle correctly. I had to back the cart up on the loading ramps of my trailer to get the engine and the transaxle level. After doing this I could get all of the dirty engine oil drained and the transaxle fill properly.

LimitedEdition 08-10-2014 11:27 AM

My cart came with a 6” Jakes spindle lift; this is common with the cart buddies I run with now. On all of the carts with the 6” Jakes lift the camber on the front wheels leans severely to the center of the cart. Because of this, the toe has to be set out to stabilize the steering, up to ¾” out. With the negative camber and the excessive tow out, our carts look like they had been in a wreck. While I was working on the front end, I noticed when I jacked up the front with a floor jack it extended the front struts. This extension would correct the camber. The simplest solution to me was to make some spacers to go between the bottom of the spring to extend the strut, and maintain the lift needed to correct the camber. I had some 3/16” plate lying around and this is what I used to make 3 washer style spacers. I used a 3” hole saw to cut the outside dimension which ended up being 2-13/16”. To cut the inside diameter I used a 1-3/4” hole saw, that needed to be opened up to 1-13/16” to fit over the end of the shock. I have a decent drill press so using the hole saws worked for me. After installing the three spacers (9/16” total) on each strut, and setting the toe closer to factory specs the cart handles well and looks great now.

dbmachine 08-10-2014 02:37 PM

Can you take a pic of the spacers you used and a pic of what the front of your cart looks like now after the mods. My carts get squirrly at 30 mph on the highway i think because of the toe. My toe right now is set to even. I tried 1/4" was bad, 1/8" was better, and now 0 is tolerable. But like mentioned at high speeds it can get out of control in a hurry.

LimitedEdition 08-10-2014 06:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Buddy here are some pics for you. The spacers raise the front end, and also make it a little stiffer, but this is the simplest way to correct the camber. This improved the handling a lot, but the shocks on my used cart are shot and I want to see how it handles with new ones $$$.

dbmachine 08-10-2014 08:06 PM

Thanks a bunch man for the pics. Trying to invision in my head but the pics clear it up 100%. Thanks again

dbmachine 08-10-2014 08:08 PM

Forgot to ask, did you use a spring compressor to get the tension off the front springs when adding the spacers??

LimitedEdition 08-10-2014 08:25 PM

To remove the spring, at first I used a screwdriver as shown in a Jakes’s video on how to install heavy duty spring on the rear shocks. After installing the spacers with the extra tension I had to used a shop press I have that came from Harbor Freight. You can buy a spring compressor on line.
http://www.justgolfcarts.com/yashab.html

LimitedEdition 08-11-2014 04:38 PM

dbmachine here is the Jake's video on how to remove a stock spring.
http://www.jakesliftkits.com/liftkit...29-(pair)/6280

dbmachine 08-11-2014 05:03 PM

Thanks for the link

Petesflht 08-16-2014 09:11 AM

New guy here.. 2011 Yamaha YDR.. If I install a 6" lift will the power suffer or decline? Is it mandatory / recommended to upgrade clutches, if so , then this should be the first upgrade? Thanks for any input.

dbmachine 08-16-2014 09:40 AM

When you add the lift you increase tires to 22-23" which cause a higher gear ratio. The increase rolling weight of the taller heavier tires robs power. The plus side is more top speed with taller tires but bottom and mid power where you use the cart 90% of the time suffers. If you don't pull loads, have steep hills or have no need for low/mid power then you will be fine with stock clutching. But if your like most on here and want the best possible setup to get the most out of your cart then clutch upgrades are a must. Take all the guess work out and call plowmans carts and ask to speak to don.

LimitedEdition 11-05-2014 01:53 PM

I just received a secondary sheave assembly from Boats.net to replace the worn one on my cart now. I have a 2011 YDRA and the secondary sheave is PN JW1-G6202-02-00, and is what I ordered,but what they sent me was the newer model secondary sheave PN JW8-G6202-22-00. Well these sheaves are different as Day and Night. I had already installed the torque spring in the old sheave and it has worked out well. I planned on swapping it out to the new sheave before installing it on the cart. The torque spring wasn’t designed for the new style sheave so I am not happy about that. After comparing the two sheaves the new one is 1” smaller in diameter than the original one, so I will be losing the low end torque on takeoff. Has anyone changed over to the JW8 sheave and how did it work out for you. I would welcome anyone’s comments, observations, or opinions on this matter. Thanks in advance.
Robert

Raymo69 11-06-2014 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys, new to the thread here. Have a question I haven't been able to find an answer to. I have a 2007 G29 gas, 6" lift, torque spring, and yes... A snow plow. I haven't been able to find a locking rear differential for this model because of the newer rear end/integrated brakes. Short of welding the axles (which I'm not going to do) anyone have any luck with finding a limited slip rear axle for this model? Thanks,
Ray

cgtech 11-06-2014 03:14 PM

There is none, and there will be none. The carrier has no room for a posi.