Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Yamaha G29/YDR/Drive Club thread (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=95261)

bootlegger61 05-13-2015 09:59 PM

Re: Yamaha G29/YDR/Drive Club thread

3 Attachment(s)
Your extension looks great. Wish i had seen it before i rigged mine. I had an old 3/4" copper flex hose, high heat sealant and a couple of hose clamps laying around. May not look professional, but it was cheap, and effective.Attachment 119659

Attachment 119660

Attachment 119661

dbmachine 05-13-2015 10:04 PM

I saw a kit on what the people down at the villages in Florida do to there carts. They get a high temp silicone 45 degree elbow and some hose clamps with a short run of copper pipe as the extension to run it out the side. It's suppored with a high temp automotive style muffler hanger to the frame to keep the extension from bouncing aroun too much.

An idea I've had was to make some type of skid plate for the area under the clucthes. What happens is when I'm riding on very dusty areas the fan effect from the clutches is getting my air filters dirty in a hurry. Don't know if adding some type of hdpe type plastic underneath to the frame tubing would cause the heat to get trapped more. Just a thought. I have some of that plastic to experiment with.

dbmachine 05-13-2015 10:07 PM

Heck yeah nothing wrong with that setup you have there

LimitedEdition 05-14-2015 08:45 PM

Here is a u-Bolt that just might do the job. I didn’t have time to order one so I made my own but I am considering ordering one of these to see if they will work.
Robert
http://www.homedepot.com/p/National-...vZc2aoZ1z0sc32

SandbaggerYDRA 05-14-2015 09:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LimitedEdition (Post 1154157)
The muffler clamp I made it up myself. I actually found a 1.75” u-bolt in my junk box that I believe was left over from a TV antenna mount. I made up a jig/tool to reshape the u-bolt to the size I needed that would work with the 1/2” EMT. I used a short section of 1-1/4” X 1-1/4” square tubing that I took a rat tail file to and made two rounded groves on opposite sides to guide the larger u-bolt. Next I used a short section of 5/8” round bar stock that I also cut a round grove in the end, to use as ram to push the larger u-bolt down in the square tubing to form it to the size I needed. I have one of those hydraulic shop presses from Harbor Freight that I used to do the work. I used a short section of ½” X ½” square bar stock for the clamp; I drilled two holes to fit on the u-bolt. The u-bolt is a ¼” by 20 thread bolt size. I originally tried to use some all thread rods but it would snap, and I even tried to bend some bolts from Home Depot with no better results. If I couldn’t find a u-bolt to fit I was going to use some ¼” rod stock which is soft enough not to snap in the jig. I would have had to bend a few to see how they would work and where I could cut some threads on the section of rod before I bent it. Do you have any pics of your setup and how is it working out for you.

Here's the pic I took of mine last year:

LimitedEdition 05-16-2015 11:46 AM

SandbaggerYDRA that looks like a good setup, the only thing I think I would have done using copper colored pipe, is paint it with either black or silver high heat paint. Nice job. Well I got a chance to test my cart today and it is quieter and the exhaust smell situation is much better now. After adjusting the valves and installing the exhaust extension the cart is much quieter now.
Robert

dbmachine 05-16-2015 11:54 AM

How bad out of tolerance were your valves? Also is your governor bypassed or any engine clutch/ mods?

LimitedEdition 05-16-2015 09:49 PM

The valves setting were loose, I didn’t take the time to take a reading of the setting, and I just set them to .004 @ top dead center. My governor is tie raped and I have the JW8 drive clutch and the JW8 driven clutch (FBT) installed with J55 shorter belt. I have the Jake’s Power Spring Kit Yamaha G29 (item 6222) installed in the driven clutch. I have noticed that the Power spring in the driven clutch seems to shift to high gear very quickly and is slow to return to low gear, but does go back to low gear when stopping. I am considering reinstalling the original spring and clocking it to a higher setting to see if it performs better than the Power spring.
Robert

cgtech 05-16-2015 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LimitedEdition (Post 1155269)
The valves setting were loose, I didn’t take the time to take a reading of the setting, and I just set them to .004 @ top dead center. My governor is tie raped and I have the JW8 drive clutch and the JW8 driven clutch (FBT) installed with J55 shorter belt. I have the Jake’s Power Spring Kit Yamaha G29 (item 6222) installed in the driven clutch. I have noticed that the Power spring in the driven clutch seems to shift to high gear very quickly and is slow to return to low gear, but does go back to low gear when stopping. I am considering reinstalling the original spring and clocking it to a higher setting to see if it performs better than the Power spring.
Robert

Did you mean "My governor is tied & raped" ? LOL!

LimitedEdition 05-17-2015 07:20 AM

Spellcheck makes sure a word is spelt correctly, but doesn't care if it makes any sense. I will have to reprimand my copy reader. LOL