Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Yamaha G16 Speed Controller (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=45775)

jwmeyer88 03-21-2011 08:09 PM

Yamaha G16 Speed Controller

I recently purchased a 1998 Yamaha G16. The guy I purchased it from told me it needed a speed controller. At the time it wasn't much of an issue, as the batteries were fairly worn down. I recently put new batteries in the cart and it is signficantly more noticeable with the fresh batteries. Can anyone tell me where I might be able to purchase a used speed controller for my cart or possibly a cheap new one?

Thanks!

mr.ez 03-22-2011 06:04 AM

Re: Yamaha G16 Speed Controller

what is the cart doing to make you think the speed control is bad?

jwmeyer88 03-22-2011 06:56 AM

When you step on the pedal, there is no transition in speed from gradual to fast. It is WIDE OPEN :shock: when you press the pedal. It is bad enough that my wife said she won't use the cart 'til I get it fixed.

scottyb 03-22-2011 09:39 AM

This type of throttle issue is more often associated with mismatched throttle input device to controller problem than a controller failure. Is it possible the guy you bought it from replaced the controller with a mismatched unit?

jwmeyer88 03-22-2011 10:11 AM

Not sure. He may have. His comment to me when he sold it to me was that it needed a speed controller that would run around $200-$300. I believe this is what he was told by a local repair shop and he just didn;t want to sink the money in it. I am personally not the most mechanically inclined guy and was thinking about buying the speed controller and having someone install it at a local shop. Sounds like I may just need to take it to them for a proper diagnosis?

scottyb 03-22-2011 10:15 AM

$ spent on proper diagnosis can be money save. Unnecessarily replacing parts gets expensive fast.

smallblock450sl 03-22-2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 538705)
$ spent on proper diagnosis can be money save. Unnecessarily replacing parts gets expensive fast.

Please, any member that reads this.....Scottyb is being very honest. He helps everyone he can fixing problems, we all try,but in this situation....it really needs a diagnosis by a reputable tech. I will add, I would think a shop minimum (35 to 50 dollars) would be fair.

jwmeyer88 03-22-2011 08:06 PM

Scottyb and others...thanks for the advice. I will take it to a local shop and get it diagnosed. I appreciate the input!