Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   ezgo jerks misses out (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=70096)

ggrant1978 09-10-2012 10:52 PM

ezgo jerks misses out

I have a 98 Ezgo txt 36 volt. When driving it cuts off on and the solenoid is clicking off and on as well. I replaced the solenoid this evening and it ran fine for 10 minutes then started the missing out again what could be the problem everything is stock as far as I know and put brand new batteries on it last week.

JohnnieB 09-11-2012 06:44 AM

Re: ezgo jerks misses out

Welcome to BGW!

You had and still have, an intermittent connection in the solenoid activation circuit.

What type drive system does your cart have, series or DCS?

ggrant1978 09-11-2012 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnieB (Post 774748)
Welcome to BGW!

You had and still have, an intermittent connection in the solenoid activation circuit.

What type drive system does your cart have, series or DCS?

Its a series

JohnnieB 09-11-2012 07:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a schematic for a series cart with the solenoid activation circuit traced.
Just connect your DVM negative lead to main negative terminal on battery pack and go looking for B+ (Battery pack voltage) when the cart is misbehaving.

Since it is an intermittent problem, you might have to attach DVM leads with alligator clips and monitor voltage while driving.

Or you might get lucky by just shaking some wire and tapping some switches.

ggrant1978 09-11-2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnieB (Post 774766)
Here is a schematic for a series cart with the solenoid activation circuit traced.
Just connect your DVM negative lead to main negative terminal on battery pack and go looking for B+ (Battery pack voltage) when the cart is misbehaving.

Since it is an intermittent problem, you might have to attach DVM leads with alligator clips and monitor voltage while driving.

Or you might get lucky by just shaking some wire and tapping some switches.

There's a wire running from controller labeled A2 that isn't hooked up but it looks like it was at one time. Should that be hooked up somewhere.

JohnnieB 09-11-2012 08:03 AM

That cable isn't needed for cart to run and isn't causing the problem you are having.

It is for "Plug" braking, which is a whole new topic.

I'd either remove it completely or wrap the ends with electrical tape and tie it down so it couldn't touch anything.

ggrant1978 09-11-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnieB (Post 774785)
That cable isn't needed for cart to run and isn't causing the problem you are having.

It is for "Plug" braking, which is a whole new topic.

I'd either remove it completely or wrap the ends with electrical tape and tie it down so it couldn't touch anything.

Ok will do thanks for the help.

simple man 09-11-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggrant1978 (Post 774701)
I have a 98 Ezgo txt 36 volt. When driving it cuts off on and the solenoid is clicking off and on as well. I replaced the solenoid this evening and it ran fine for 10 minutes then started the missing out again what could be the problem everything is stock as far as I know and put brand new batteries on it last week.

There is a black box under the floor that houses the throttle control ( ITS ). Follow the wires from it and you will find a plug connector. Undo this and clean it's contacts ( both male and female ends ). These cause lots of problems! If that doesn't help, remove the floormat and there is a cover for the ITS under the mat. Take it off and see if there is any water in the housing. If no water, with the cart in neutral and the key off, press the pedal slowly and listen for a click from the micro switch. It should click with a little movement of the pedal. Just because it clicks does not mean it works electrically, though. You will still want to do " JohnnieB's " tests with the meter. Be careful! It would be a good idea to have the rear wheels of the cart raised on jackstands when you do the electrical tests! :mrgreen:

ggrant1978 09-11-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simple man (Post 774849)
There is a black box under the floor that houses the throttle control ( ITS ). Follow the wires from it and you will find a plug connector. Undo this and clean it's contacts ( both male and female ends ). These cause lots of problems! If that doesn't help, remove the floormat and there is a cover for the ITS under the mat. Take it off and see if there is any water in the housing. If no water, with the cart in neutral and the key off, press the pedal slowly and listen for a click from the micro switch. It should click with a little movement of the pedal. Just because it clicks does not mean it works electrically, though. You will still want to do " JohnnieB's " tests with the meter. Be careful! It would be a good idea to have the rear wheels of the cart raised on jackstands when you do the electrical tests! :mrgreen:

Ok will do this evening thanks

scottyb 09-11-2012 12:07 PM

I may be running in from left field with only 2 outs but, :mrgreen:
I would like to see a DVM connected to the battery pack mains and get a reading when the cart runs good for 10 minutes then when the solenoid cuts in and out.

Is there a significant voltage drop at the pack?