Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Batteries that have been in flooded cart...worth buying? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=148016)

gardnerphoto 11-20-2018 07:07 PM

Batteries that have been in flooded cart...worth buying?

We have had a lot of flooded golfcarts in eastern NC,
I have a chance to buy feb 2018 batteries,6-6 volt and 6-8 volt,what are the problems that I would run into later,We think both sets were flooded in salt water,they charge,test good now,It looks as if no salt water got into acid,but some of the terminals are corroded (pitted)to the point there is only just enough stud to connect cables...Help ---to buy or not to buy?

E36Racer 11-20-2018 07:12 PM

Re: Batteries that have been in flooded cart...worth buying?

How much? If marginally more than what you can get for the cores (I.e. $25-30/battery) then maybe worth the gamble if your current pack is shot. Otherwise don’t waste your time. Especially since the terminals are roached.

Gazoo 11-20-2018 07:16 PM

If they were "submerged" would the salt water get into the cells through the vents?

LukeL 11-20-2018 07:27 PM

I have had good success with flooded batteries. Had many sets and they don’t seem to be affected. It depends on how long and how deep, I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fairtax4me 11-20-2018 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoo (Post 1561493)
If they were "submerged" would the salt water get into the cells through the vents?

It’s not supposed to... but... it depends on a lot of factors. The vent cap isn’t supposed to let water back in. The vents are shaped in a way that creates an air gap, keeping water out, but it depends how deeply they were submerged and if the seals around the caps were compromised.

If you can get them dirt cheap (like for the price of cores as mentioned above) , clean up the corrosion as best you can, re-stud them, and treat the terminals with anti-corrosive spray to try to keep any future corrosion to a minimum. As long as the cells didn’t fill up with water, probably get quite a few years of service from them.

Mooncarter 11-20-2018 08:48 PM

I agree. If they are cheap enough, I would sure try them.

gornoman 11-20-2018 09:27 PM

Just walk away.

Roy Gurley 11-21-2018 06:03 AM

If it were me... I would walk away! salt water and batteries do not play well together!