Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   axle bearing and seal replacement. (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=33992)

ohmar99 06-07-2010 09:21 AM

axle bearing and seal replacement.

I had a bearing go bad, and the oil seal. I need to know how and what type of grease / oil to the rear end / transmission. It is a 96 Ezgo TXT.

scottyb 06-07-2010 09:57 AM

Re: axle bearing and seal replacement.

Straight 30w motor oil. Fill until it comes back out the fill hole.

ohmar99 06-07-2010 10:11 AM

is the fill hole on top uner the cover? Its at the campground so its not easy for me to check at the moment

scottyb 06-07-2010 10:16 AM

The fill hole is on the pan. It holds about 1/3 of a quart + or - . This could be a tough fix at the campground unless you are good. You will need a snap ring pliers, seal puller, a way to press the bearing off and on the axle. It can be done you just will need to be set up properly.

ohmar99 06-07-2010 10:30 AM

oh no, I already have the drivers side axle bearing and seal out. getting the parts tomorrow.
[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/106hn40.jpg[/IMG]

rbuggies48IN 10-01-2015 11:25 AM

I'm about to start this project for rear bearing replacement on a 1995 ezgo, but need a few more comments. It appears the only thing I need to be concerned about, based on my existing tools, is a bearing press, which I think I can rent. Also, I would like to know if reinstalling the axle is ever a problem? I plan to start in about a week or so after I order the bearings from Scottyb.

cartattach 10-01-2015 01:19 PM

A bearing press? For what? Reinstallation is usually uneventful, just make sure to do everything is proper order. EZGO part number 611931 is the kit, you need 1 kit per side.

cgtech 10-02-2015 01:44 AM

Others may disagree, but skip 30w, and go for 80w-90 gear lube. Quieter operation with good gear & bearing protection. My opinion is "flat plane" bearings want 30w, gears want "gear lube". Let the opinions fly.... I will add that ezgo has specified everything from "tractor fluid" to "30w" to "somethingW-140" in the same dana axle they have used for years. The gears & bearings have not changed much.

usgicollector 10-02-2015 07:12 AM

I use a 75w-90 Full Synthetic gear oil myself.:thumbup:

scottyb 10-02-2015 07:34 AM

For lubrication I used 30wt and added an oz of STP. The STP clung to the gear surfaces so they had lubrication up start up. Just my take on splash lubing a tall set of gears with a low speed vehicle.

I have changed out as many axle bearings as most techs and more than some who posted.:mrgreen: You don't need a press but you will need a 6 inch piece of 3/4 steel pipe, a hammer, and a large vice.
If the axle will not pull out put the drum on backwards and start 2 lug nuts so there is room to slide the drum up and down the studs. Use the drum as a slide hammer to remove the stuck axle.
Put the axle nut backwards on the axle leaving the axle end buried in the nut so the threads are protected from the hammer. Place the Axle loosely in the vice so the bearing is supporting the weight of the axle. Strike the axle nut (not the axle threads) and drive the axle out of the bearing. Save the bearing.

more in a minute ...