Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Lifted Golf Carts (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Should the clutch also be worked on when lifting a cart? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=158250)

Bobothewizard 10-22-2019 08:14 AM

Should the clutch also be worked on when lifting a cart?

Have a stock 2007 Yamaha G29 Gas and my winter project for the wife is installing a 6 inch lift kit and some new tires. I was wondering with that, if I should also look at possibly replacing the spring in the secondary clutch assembly? The cart jerks now when starting out so maybe I should look at a new clutch spring regardless of the lift? If it was your cart would you?

I saw some youtube vids on it and it doesnt seem that hard to just replace the spring.

BaselessEarth12 10-22-2019 09:25 AM

Re: Should the clutch also be worked on when lifting a cart?

If you keep the tires around or at the stock size, clutch spring shouldn't be that big of an issue... But, if it's stuttering as it is, you may look into replacing it anyway. And hey, breaking stuff is just an excuse to upgrade!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Bobothewizard 10-22-2019 10:11 AM

Thanks for the reply, yes the tires are going to be bigger. Biggest ones I can fit. Going to be looking around for a lift kit / tire combo and just go from there. The cart isnt used for any off roading or anything extreme, just going around the campground but we have golf cart envy lol so the wife wants it lifted and remember a happy wife is a happy life :thumbup:

Dave in VA 10-22-2019 12:41 PM

If your cart runs well, this will take care of any clutching issues you may have...Throwing a different spring into a 12 year old clutch isn't the answer.

https://www.plowmanscarts.com/carts....1550242601&v=2

slonomo 10-22-2019 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave in VA (Post 1663341)
If your cart runs well, this will take care of any clutching issues you may have...Throwing a different spring into a 12 year old clutch isn't the answer.

https://www.plowmanscarts.com/carts....1550242601&v=2

:iagree: :thumbup:

Bobothewizard 10-23-2019 05:33 AM

Nice! Thanks for that. Looks like that is the primary and secondary cluth total replacement?

I am going to look up some vids on replacing both of the clutches instead of one and will definately be ordering that if its not to complicated.

slonomo 10-23-2019 07:00 AM

I bought the Plowman's performance secondary clutch when I had the G1 cart all stock. Still on my cart today, works great. I'm using the stock spring in it, I find upshift to be much quicker. Hills, towing, riding with buddies....no problems at all. I've pulled my 5x10 trailer full of firewood before, probably 1700 lbs, without issues, and empty it accelerates without any delay in the upshift. Good investment.

Dave in VA 10-23-2019 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobothewizard (Post 1663570)
Nice! Thanks for that. Looks like that is the primary and secondary cluth total replacement?

I am going to look up some vids on replacing both of the clutches instead of one and will definately be ordering that if its not to complicated.

Both clutches, high flow air filter, belt, jets, gaskets...

sho305 10-25-2019 03:29 PM

Well if they are worn out they need replacement. I put a new secondary sheave on my cart as the ramps were torn up, I put new shoes in. It was also worn from the belt, you can see the belt has worn into the surface and dished it in. Then they don't shift right. However running stock power and 22 tires off road I put a umax spring in, which is a little stronger than stock, it helped. I bought the cut sheave not a std one, so it has more low gear for steep hills and towing. Last I put a HD Kevlar belt on it that is tiny bit wider. Now with that setup it worked a lot better. Later I put a clone engine in with more power and it worked ok because clones like to rev and I modded it some, but with more power I really didn't need all that stuff. I ended up running a stock spring with that. Later I had to move the engine and now run a different cogged belt. But mostly the extra torque of a larger engine (even a 15hp clone) makes a big difference and you don't need it. Stock power it was helpful. The cogged drive belts are just better anyway. I do run a different primary now that will rev up more to help the engine as it has a cam in it now, but stock it worked fine with the stock clutch.