Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   08 YDRE (Yamaha Drive) battery conversion -any instructions? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=75588)

hoggin03 02-01-2013 09:50 AM

08 YDRE (Yamaha Drive) battery conversion -any instructions?

I've done a lot of reading through old threads and have seen reference to converting a 4 -12 volt system to a 6 - 8 volt (or even 8 - 6 volt) system, but can't find any pictures, directions, etc to prove it can be done. Can anyone point me to a place to figure out how to do it? Thanks in advance.

jgolfin 02-01-2013 10:22 AM

Re: 08 YDRE (Yamaha Drive) battery conversion -any instructions?

I would also be interested in this as well.

craig tn 02-02-2013 10:26 PM

I do not have pictures but you can install the extra 2 batteries opposite of the ones there in the middle and they will fit. I bent a piece of sheet metal to stop the batteries from sliding forward and backward then used a old style hold down in the middle. These 2 batteries will be sitting higher than the others.

hoggin03 02-03-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craig tn (Post 834418)
I do not have pictures but you can install the extra 2 batteries opposite of the ones there in the middle and they will fit. I bent a piece of sheet metal to stop the batteries from sliding forward and backward then used a old style hold down in the middle. These 2 batteries will be sitting higher than the others.

Awesome. I figured it was fairly simple. What kind of batteries and cables did you go with? Have you noticed improvement over the 12 volts?

craig tn 02-03-2013 02:38 PM

Trojan t875 standard cables. No noticeable difference in the short ride I took with them. But you should get longer ride time between charges and more years of service if maintained properly.

smallblock450sl 02-04-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craig tn (Post 834668)
Trojan t875 standard cables. No noticeable difference in the short ride I took with them. But you should get longer ride time between charges and more years of service if maintained properly.

Do you have a picture Craig? Yamaha came up with a "retro fit kit", very expensive and a nightmare to make work (from a freind that is a yamaha tech for 25 years).

craig tn 02-04-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallblock450sl (Post 835123)
Do you have a picture Craig? Yamaha came up with a "retro fit kit", very expensive and a nightmare to make work (from a freind that is a yamaha tech for 25 years).

The way I did was simple and used some scrap sheet metal and old battery hold downs.
I will draw a pic and post of what I did. I didn't take any pics.

craig tn 02-04-2013 03:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's a few pics and drawings(they are not to scale).

The 8 volts are a little narrower than the 12v so this will give you more room to turn the 8 v the other direction. I built a sheet metal plate to hold the 2 center batteries from moving back and forth since there rear battery hangs over a little and tries to slide back with a hold down between them.

If you use the 12 v hold downs you may have to flip the batteries around so that the post are not in the way.

I think I had about a inch of clearance between the battery post and bottom of seat.

Hope this explains it better.

rlstage 03-28-2016 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craig tn (Post 834418)

Does the standard controller and motor work okay with the additional amperage of the battery pack?

rlstage 03-28-2016 11:44 PM

Does the stock controller and motor work OK with the additional amperage of the battery pack?

thanks,

Richard