Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Lithium Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Precedent Leaf Lithium Conversion Checklist (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=157302)

woolybaseball 09-19-2019 03:39 PM

Precedent Leaf Lithium Conversion Checklist

1 Attachment(s)
I am converting a lifted Precedent with stock electronics to a 14 module leaf system using a Chargery C10325 Charger and BMS16T. I have read over most of the lithium conversion threads and would appreciate it if someone could look over my build before I start assembly. I don't have much experience with golf cart components but have a decent understanding of electrical. I have attached my diagram as a .png.

I ordered the 14s 120AH Leaf pack from AZLithium and the Chargery items directly with a 600AMP shunt and 600AMP LV relay per Jason's recommendation.

I have a few concerns:

1. Do I need to bypass my Carts OBC if I am not using my original charger or charge port?(I will most likely remove the port completely and use a 110V port plug adapter in its place)

2. Do I need to change any other wire configurations on my cart other than 12v accessories? (I have a DC-DC converter for that)

3. Do I need a precharge relay or diode anywhere in my system?(Would it be a good idea to have one on my DC-DC converter with a relay tied to the key?)

4. I have seen a couple of different BMS arrangements but the differences are mostly parallel on the same bus bar. Will my arrangement work?

Thank you all for the help.

yensidcamper 09-20-2019 10:09 PM

Re: Precedent Leaf Lithium Conversion Checklist

Looking forward to your build. I am considering the same thing. Please let me know how your AZLithium purchase holds up. They seem to be the best supplier available at this time.

woolybaseball 09-21-2019 08:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got a reply back from Jason with the BMS leads mapped in the attachment. So my 4th concern should be solved now.

MCJEFE 09-21-2019 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woolybaseball (Post 1654371)
I am converting a lifted Precedent with stock electronics to a 14 module leaf system using a Chargery C10325 Charger and BMS16T. I have read over most of the lithium conversion threads and would appreciate it if someone could look over my build before I start assembly. I don't have much experience with golf cart components but have a decent understanding of electrical. I have attached my diagram as a .png.

I ordered the 14s 120AH Leaf pack from AZLithium and the Chargery items directly with a 600AMP shunt and 600AMP LV relay per Jason's recommendation.

I have a few concerns:

1. Do I need to bypass my Carts OBC if I am not using my original charger or charge port?(I will most likely remove the port completely and use a 110V port plug adapter in its place)

2. Do I need to change any other wire configurations on my cart other than 12v accessories? (I have a DC-DC converter for that)

3. Do I need a precharge relay or diode anywhere in my system?(Would it be a good idea to have one on my DC-DC converter with a relay tied to the key?)

4. I have seen a couple of different BMS arrangements but the differences are mostly parallel on the same bus bar. Will my arrangement work?

Thank you all for the help.

1) yes, you will need to bypass the OBC. Check out the "sticky" in the Club Car section.

2) As far as the cart is concerned volts are volts and it doesn't matter what kind of battery you use as long as it meets the minimum specs. You are essentially just disconnecting the old battery and reconnecting the carts B+/B- up to a different shaped battery with a new charger.

3) If it wasn't needed before I'm not sure why you're going to add it now...if you already have a DC/DC convertor you may not need to change anything. If are adding a DC/DC converter you can connect to pack B- and B+ at the solenoid output to the controller.

4) I can't read the diagram, it's blurry.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

woolybaseball 09-21-2019 07:11 PM

MCJEFE, I sure appreciate the reply. I think I’m good on the diagram after talking with Jason. The DC-DC converter I already use but It’s always on right now and not switched(one of those things that was supposed to be temporary and didn't get finished).

As far as the OBC, how will it behave if I didn’t disable it? Asking purely for educational purposes. I know it controls charging but if my new charger is connected directly to the lithium pack, I’m just curious what the obc would still be doing.

woolybaseball 09-22-2019 08:50 AM

I found the answer to my question, my cart has never gotten to one of these three conditions and was unaware.

“The OBC on the Precedent will put the controller in lockout after 3 days of inactivity if it has not detected a PowerDrive charger plugged in (sense wire monitor).

When You try to drive the cart, The pedal signal will wake up the OBC, the battery warning light will come ON and after a few seconds the controller will work again.

The OBC may eventually go into a permanent lockout condition (like if it thinks the Electrolyte has been depleted in the batteries) that can only be reset by plugging the PowerDrive charger into the cart.”

woolybaseball 10-01-2019 02:43 PM

I'm going to try and remove my factory charge receptacle and replace it with a 110 power port in its place.

Is there a way to remove it with out taking off the body off the cart for access to the screws?

Can I remove all three wires of the receptacle from the system?

MyCousinVinnie 10-10-2019 03:01 PM

wooly, do you mind reposting your diagram that is blurry? I'm having trouble with mine and would love to see it. thanks.

woolybaseball 10-10-2019 10:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I attached a picture of mine for now, I’ll try and post my diagram and final BMS tap locations in the morning. I should finish tomorrow if all goes well. I went to drop the pack in the cart this afternoon and decided I needed to go ahead and relocate my controller so I’ll be able to upgrade it down the road without removing the pack.

MyCousinVinnie 10-11-2019 10:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks so much. What did you set the BMS to on the settings below?