Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Tie rods (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=67373)

mudtrackerinc 07-16-2012 08:37 PM

Tie rods

Two weeks ago I broke the left front tie rod. So put a new one on and broke it last night. Are these known to break easily and is there something out there that's better?

scottyb 07-16-2012 08:49 PM

Re: Tie rods

That's more than I've heard of in a year, what are you doing?

Maybe you just got a bad replacement?

mudtrackerinc 07-16-2012 09:07 PM

First time I broke it crossing a small ditch. I didn't get squared up good so I figured my bad right. The 2nd time I was driving in the dark and hit a (not very big) rock and it cranked the wheel to the left and pop it broke.

hanny 07-16-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudtrackerinc (Post 750991)
First time I broke it crossing a small ditch. I didn't get squared up good so I figured my bad right. The 2nd time I was driving in the dark and hit a (not very big) rock and it cranked the wheel to the left and pop it broke.

i assume they are breaking at the ball part (kinda pulling out of the socket so to speak?) they are pretty cheap,,, (pop metal i suppose) and arent at all designed to take any punishment,,, i would assume.

I worked on cars for 20 years and only saw a few break ever and they were really really abused (bent wheel, damaged control arms etc..) but in this case they do look like a general tie rod so one off a car would work if the threads matched up. I dont know if that helps or not but if a guy had a rack and pinion laying around might be interesting to see if they would fit. Also check with the lift company guys and see if they make an upgrade. good luck with it, paul

scottyb 07-16-2012 09:55 PM

That's a good idea!
Certainly our big tires and big rocks are putting much greater leverage and force on the units than the orig designer intended...

TahoeDawgZ71 07-16-2012 10:15 PM

Wow, a broken tie rod? I've never seen that happen.

LURCH 07-17-2012 06:45 AM

A buddy of mine used to break his all the time on a Yamaha ATV, so I had another friend that has a machine shop make him 2 one for each side. He kept it 7 or 8 more years and never bent or broke another. Bigger tires, rough terrain, curbs and such wreak havoc on them that are made for a golf course.
I think he made them for around 40.00 each. Just a thought!!!!!1

mudtrackerinc 07-17-2012 08:05 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are pics

mudtrackerinc 07-17-2012 08:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am considering using these

TahoeDawgZ71 07-17-2012 02:43 PM

I like those. Where did you find them?