Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Lithium EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Stability? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=151773)

yurtle 04-12-2019 01:29 PM

Stability?

Does significantly reducing the battery weight help or hurt with the center of gravity? It's already pretty high, as I managed to roll mine to its side with just six batteries. Do folks "think" theirs feels more, less, or the same as far as top heavy?

It's been way too long since I studied that stuff, and I never needed it for work so... I'm sure with the time I could do a FEA model, but that's just not on my to do list.

Volt_Ampere 04-12-2019 01:35 PM

Re: Stability?

Roll moment has to do with where the CG is relative to the ground. It might be slightly worse with less battery weight but the other factor is total mass which is lower with a lighter battery. I had to change my shocks on my Yamaha cart to deal with the loss of about 250 pounds of battery weight. It rode like an empty pickup truck with the stock shocks and only one rider. I got a set of shocks meant for a gas cart which is also much lighter than a Lead Acid Battery cart. That solved the ride problem for me.

DaveTM 04-12-2019 02:17 PM

I can't say that the feeling of "roll over" is any more or any less than when I had 8 65-lb each FA batteries and now a 7 module unit. Net-net the cart lost about 400-lbs.

I will say I notice the weight loss when I drive my F-150 and the cart is in the truck bed. Much easier to handle without the x-tra 400-lbs.

scottyb 04-12-2019 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere (Post 1604318)
Roll moment has to do with where the CG is relative to the ground. It might be slightly worse with less battery weight but the other factor is total mass which is lower with a lighter battery. I had to change my shocks on my Yamaha cart to deal with the loss of about 250 pounds of battery weight. It rode like an empty pickup truck with the stock shocks and only one rider. I got a set of shocks meant for a gas cart which is also much lighter than a Lead Acid Battery cart. That solved the ride problem for me.

Great solution :thumbup:

NCPW 04-12-2019 02:37 PM

I don't feel a difference with sharp turns or taking turns a little fast with the loss of the FLA batteries. If anything, I'd say my cart handles better now.

I will say, when I converted to lithium, I added 2" wheel spacers all the way around so that might have added to the none-issue of rollover since losing the extra weight. Maybe something to consider adding if you thinking of going lithium.

yurtle 04-12-2019 03:46 PM

Thanks all. Mines a beast with eight T-105s, and they're starting to show their age. Also non-lifted stock tires, so there's that. I'm probably gonna get 20.5" tires, so that raises center of gravity, and even more with a lift, but with less weight being raised, I figured that would have to be better than raising FLAs. Wider and longer wheel base is definitely a good thing.

BobBoyce 04-12-2019 10:57 PM

I stacked 14 concrete blocks on the rear step of my newer lithium RXV and strapped them down. When I hit the throttle, even fairly easy, the cart wanted to wheelie. I had a guy stand on the front frame and hold onto the front roof mount. That kept the nose down. LOL

bronsonj 04-13-2019 06:49 PM

My TXT is absolutely more likely to roll now than before. I have never rolled it, but you can feel the difference.

But... I have a 6" lift and 23" tires. So it has several things raising the CG.

I can't get wheel spacers on mine, the path I use to get to both Publix and the ABC store has a place where an inch wider cart wouldn't make it and if I am not paying 100% attention I leave sidewall rubber marks on the post.

I have a set of progressive springs that I plan on installing, but it's like many of my other projects and just hasn't been done yet.

Volt_Ampere 04-13-2019 09:45 PM

Lift and larger tires both increase the roll moment significantly.

DaveTM 04-14-2019 07:33 AM

I failed to mention that I do have 1" spacers on the rear wheels. My tire size is 22".

I suppose I'm cautious of trying not to get myself into a ...."tipping incident?" When I'm out in the woods\fields I will, when needed, shift my weight to the middle of the seat. I'm....at this point of using my cart for 10 years...pretty much aware of what "tilt" will cause that rolling feeling....and I just don't do things that will cause it.

FWIW