Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Club Car DS - relaibility (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=144432)

brett92 07-26-2018 11:18 AM

Club Car DS - relaibility

What major components fail on a newer (2003 IQ) Club Car DS? and how often?

I know there's a lot of variables so it's hard to give an answer, but base it upon optimal conditions (stored inside, adult driven, batteries maintained/cleaned, etc.).

Just trying to get an idea for how reliable these things are and how often things break. Basically I'm a little paranoid because I'm 3 months into ownership and I have a no-go condition. Wondering if I just need to upgrade to something newer. I've even been considering different make/model.

Thanks in advance.

LukeL 07-26-2018 11:24 AM

Re: Club Car DS - relaibility

Usually an IQ DS will be a great cart. Lots of upgrade options and reliability is good. MCOR is prone to fail, as always, but I’ve seen some that just won’t stop. I dragged an 04 IQ DS out of someone’s backyard where it sat for 5 years. Threw batteries in it and did some work on it and sold it. A year later the owners are still using it, and they don’t take very good care of it either... they constantly let the batteries run dead.

Now if they get flooded, that’s a different story.

Club Car DS driver’s club #59

NoleFan4Ever 07-26-2018 11:29 AM

MCOR's for me have been more problematic on the Precedent's and not as much on the DS's. I still have the original MCOR and OBC's in an '05 and an '07. But they are the things you hear that fail with DS's or Precedent's. Speed sensors and controllers and solenoids can last forever or go a few years and quit. Like Luke stated, seen it lots of ways to no ways at all....

brett92 07-26-2018 11:32 AM

Yeah that's what I'm used to hearing. I got a guy in my neighborhood with a DS same age as mine. He checks/fills his water ONCE a year and leaves his cart outside. He says he hasn't done anything to it in years.

So how often do things like MCORs, solenoids, controllers, etc go out? (under favorable conditions). If I can go say 5+ years without replacing those that's fine by me. EDIT: Thanks NoleFan

NoleFan4Ever 07-26-2018 11:36 AM

At least 5 years.... Usually more. For normal recreational usage and fun in the sun, they last a very very long time. Now put them in the woods, drain them constantly, ride them hard or high amp draws all the time...... Well they will tend to wear out faster.... (Heck, Swan goes through a solenoid every 45 days!! :shock::shock:)

Mooncarter 07-26-2018 04:00 PM

Nole has the best answer for a question that cannot be answered. Something may last you 10 years that may not last someone else 10 minutes.

As far as reliability goes, I don't think you can do better than a Club Car DS.

Hunter450 07-26-2018 04:42 PM

To echo Mooncarter, the Club Car DS is a solid cart and I'll tip my hat to members like NoleFan that help all of us keep our machines up and running. I unknowingly purchased a problematic 2000.5 Regen 2 DS prior to finding this forum and David at Revolution Golf Cars. David recommended I upgrade my cart to an IQ cart and it was the best advice. I have had the cart for 2 years and it just works every time I turn the key switch. If I was purchasing a used cart today it would be a DS IQ.

sidewalkman 07-26-2018 04:47 PM

I'm running a 2000.5+ DS series cart, I keep the batteries topped up, in the heat they need it about every 6 weeks or so, but don't use a lot. I keep it covered outside all year round, last year it sat with 3' of snow on top.

Other than the one time I thought it was a good idea to drill a hole through the middle of the OBC it runs like a champ, bone stock, usually with 300+ pounds at a minimum in it! So your question is pretty subjective, drive the bag out of it, put it on a charger once a week and chances are it's not going to be reliable. Like everything else, the time you spend maintaining something determines it's lifespan. Trouble with buying something used is you have no way of determining the history. My rule of thumb is "if it looks like a piece of s***, generally it is"

Now if you looking to buy a project that you just need a frame and body cheap, and you're replacing everything anyway who cares what it looks like, but for a turn key solution....