Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Ez Go Marathon Not Working (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=151542)

Steve Kuczak 04-05-2019 11:09 AM

Ez Go Marathon Not Working

Hello everyone,

I have a 1992 Ez Go marathon that is giving me trouble. Basically it all started when I was operating it at a slower speed and a wire on the FNR switch burnt up. I replaced the switch with a HD one and then I also replaced the controller after the switch didn't solve the problem. When I press the pedal the solenoid clicks but nothing else happens. Can someone please give me suggestions on how to troubleshoot it from here?

Thanks- Steve

JohnnieB 04-05-2019 12:26 PM

Re: Ez Go Marathon Not Working

Could be a bad motor or a bad controller or a bad throttle or a bad amp delivery circuit or a combination thereof.

Connect a DVM between the controller's B- and M- terminals and press pedal just far enough to make solenoid click. If you read battery pack voltage (about 38.2V when fully charged), the amp delivery circuit is intact.

If you get battery pack voltage, slowly press pedal to floor and voltage should smoothly decrease to zero.

If it doesn't, check the pot-box throttle.

If it does, check the motor.

Steve Kuczak 04-08-2019 10:04 AM

Thanks for the reply JohnnieB, I really appreciate it. So I did your test and the voltage did not decrease when I pressed the pedal down. Where is the pot-box throttle and how do I check it? Thanks again.

JohnnieB 04-08-2019 11:14 AM

Lift he seat and look in front of the controller while pressing pedal and you ought to see some rods and levers moving.

To check, remove the black and white wires from controller and connect an Ohmmeter between the wires.

Should be close to 0Ω with pedal up and close to 5,000Ω with pedal down.

Steve Kuczak 04-09-2019 06:41 AM

I tested the two wires, but my DVM doesn't read/register above 600 ohms it looks like. It there another way to test it?

yurtle 04-09-2019 07:56 AM

Did the resistance go up from 0Ω to 600Ω as you pressed the pedal? Does your meter maybe have a kΩ setting? That's 1,000Ω.

Steve Kuczak 04-09-2019 09:29 AM

Yes it went from 0 ohms up to about 630 ohms before the meter read OL (overload?). It is a Fluke 333 clamp meter.

Steve Kuczak 04-09-2019 09:31 AM

Also, I only get those readings when the cart is in reverse. When it's in forward, I get no readings at all.

yurtle 04-09-2019 10:10 AM

I just looked up the specs, and sure enough, your Fluke 333 only goes to 600 ohms. Can you borrow one, or buy a cheap +/- $20 one at a local Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Ace, Auto Zone, etc.?

If your controller doesn't see 0Ω to +/- 5000Ω, it won't go. I'm not familiar with a pot box, but I'm pretty sure it only goes from 0Ω tp 2500Ω, or half speed, in reverse, so I'd think you'd read 0Ω to 600Ω in reverse, but have to press the pedal farther in reverse to get OL.

Steve Kuczak 04-09-2019 11:21 AM

Ok I'll have to get a different meter then. Do you have any idea why it wouldn't be registering while in forward? I just replaced the FNR switch.